Plastering thermal blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to start plastering my now complete conservatory, what preparation should i use plastering thermalites? should an undercoat plaster be used (if so which) or would a sand and cement mix be better

Sponsored Links
ndmxp07 said:
Need to start plastering my now complete conservatory, what preparation should i use plastering thermalites? should an undercoat plaster be used (if so which) or would a sand and cement mix be better

you can use one coat plaster or a bond coat and then a finnishing plaster

you just need too keep the wall damp i use a water wich i just spray on

a quick metherd is too dip and dab with bonded and dry line using 9mm plaster board

you would not need too seal with pva presides it would take all day

plaster nvq 2

Don't use 'Bonding' as this is designed for low suction backgrounds and if used on Thermalites will crack and craze like mad.

To plaster straight on to Thermalites you can use sand/cement as the base coat or Thistle Hardwall Plaster. Both will need a top coat of Thistle MultiFinish plaster. For a small area like a conservatory I would prefer to use Hardwall as sand/cement is only cost effective for larger areas as you'll need a mixer etc. The end result from either method is much the same.

Before the base coat is applied, it is advisable to dampen the blocks just prior to plastering, using a hose or a Killaspray (garden sprayer). This reduces the suction from the blocks and stops the plaster being sucked to death.

a quick metherd is too dip and dab with bonded and dry line using 9mm plaster board

What do you dip 8x4 sheets of plasterboard in!

Dot and Dab
Keep reading those books nvq!

Sponsored Links
A new product I have come across is called Medusa ...you mix it into a spatter dash coat and it acts to stop the suction for the floating or dashed coat . just used it on the scratch coat of a garage prior to a dry dash in white sand and cement ....perfect job, should be good on aereated concrete block as they are a bitch to render, dot and dab with drywall adhesive would be my choice
Regards
Robbo

No n.v.q. 2 just a quarter century of experience!

hey robbo, that isn't the same medusa that is a mortar waterproofer is it?

nvq? naaah but i can do the job properly.

That would be the one ..i had never come across it before.
When dashing you can add a good spot of regular waterproofer to the scratch for when you are spreading the white mix but on a warm day even if you gave it a wet down it tended to dry to quick cus the scratch was only surface wet due to waterproofer so I was using the big industrial hose on a regular plastercised scratch but a mate bought along some medusa and I was well impressed, are you familiar with it d.j. or am I over reacting about it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back