Plumbers & Electrician's Hourly Rates

Which are you?

• I'm a plumber.

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • I'm an electrician.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Hell... I can do both :) (qualification wise)

Votes: 13 28.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering what you guys charge when you are charging an hourly rate?

Just to get an idea of ratio on the forum I've made a poll too :)

Sponsored Links
I've selected plumber, but really I am just a gas heating engineer.

I charge £60 for the first hour (locally) then £40/hr afterwards all plus VAT.

Sponsored Links
how long is a piece of string?

different rates for different places i can charge what i like for certain jobs others where the competition is fierce i have to work for sod all nearly.
i can rip off people in Sandbanks, but wouldn't get away with it in any other area. :LOL:

45 1st hour if job 1 or 2 hours.

otherwise 30/hour, 220 for 8 hours worked day. all +vat

I'm thinking of upping my rates though.

You'd probably be better off with an annoynous poll ie select 0-30, 31-40 etc, as many tradesmen are secretive and/or variable, ie I've quoted rewires competitively but when the clients asked the labour rate I'm "charging" twice as much! customer told me a while back her simular overall quote man claimed he would work day rate for £140! I said if he does a good job give me his number! London rates BTW.

Then I tried to get someone out to pot a pyro for me (no tools myself) and found that £100+ for the first hour was wanted -okay fine- and then they couldn't be bothered to show up.

no wonder customers are confused and wary :rolleyes:

£45 an hour basic rate for short jobs, parking/ town tax not included.
Theoretically going down to £30 an hour for whole month uninterrupted in one place. Never happens though.
Jobs/clients that I like get better rate, those I don't fancy get higher quote.
If the address is in an area with traffic/parking, or other problems, the price goes up as well.

£45 an hour basic rate for short jobs, parking/ town tax not included.
Theoretically going down to £30 an hour for whole month uninterrupted in one place. Never happens though.
Jobs/clients that I like get better rate, those I don't fancy get higher quote.
If the address is in an area with traffic/parking, or other problems, the price goes up as well.

Im slightly cheaper than you Bengas, but then im in an area thats over run with trades men and tight so n so's who want a job done for feck all!

Im slightly cheaper than you Bengas, but then im in an area thats over run with trades men and tight so n so's who want a job done for f**k all!

The whole country is overrun by clowns who call themselves tradesmen.
I bet you the ratio of cowboys speaking in some sort of language that I can't understand compared to real (registered) engineers, with proper knowledge, qualifications, tools and experience, is at least twice as bad here.

There are 3 shops in walking distance that have no signs in English in the window, and even the local sainsbury's display a number of anouncements in polish without a translation in English.
Nothing to do with my rates. My rates are based on what I think I am worth and the costs of expenses and overheads.

I supply quality and reliability, which some people like to buy.
Some people just want the cheapest and take their chances.

You start lowering your prices, you keep lowering your prices.
You keep lowering your prices, you will have to start cutting corners.
Sooner or later you end up competing with illegal ee's (as we have to call them now in order not to be prosecuted); I don't care to be in that position.

When you run your own business, you know that you will either retire and die, or go bust and die, eventually.
You will die, it is a given. What is different is how you go out: on your feet, or on your knees.
I will go out on my feet.

Thats the problem BenGas
Too many "tradesmen" willing to cut prices and so cut corners...Ive lost count of the number of times Ive lost out on jobs to "cheaper" guys willing to cut corners. I won't cut corners and have to price the work to cover the cost of a proper job. Seems to me Joe Public are only interested in the bottom line and so qulified, experienced, responcilble trades men will go to the wall. And I think its only going to get worse now crapita have the gas safe!

Thats the problem BenGas
Too many "tradesmen" willing to cut prices and so cut corners...Ive lost count of the number of times Ive lost out on jobs to "cheaper" guys willing to cut corners. I won't cut corners and have to price the work to cover the cost of a proper job. Seems to me Joe Public are only interested in the bottom line and so qulified, experienced, responcilble trades men will go to the wall. And I think its only going to get worse now crapita have the gas safe!

think you've hit it right on the head so to speak.

We charge £57 for jobs up to 2 hours £115 for half day up to 4 1/2 hours and £230 for whole day and even that it seems is too much for the people round here.

Gascarp / Crapita have so far just made a complete pigs ear of the register and nobody gives a toss wether you are legal or not they just want the job done for nought.

'Heating & Plumbing Monthly' magazine are currently conducting a 'State of the Trade' survey to arrive at the average hourly rate etc. You can take part online here:
http://www.williams.uk.com/stateoftradesurvey/2009/tradesurvey09.html

Last year's survey returned a median hourly rate of £40/hour for gas work and £33/hour for plumbing work.The corresponding figures for the year before were £35/hr for gas and £30/hr for plumbing. These figures relate to the south of England.

This year's survey will get figures from all over the uk.

Sponsored Links
Back