GU10 Energy Saving Bulbs - Does this type work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've come accross these energy saving GU10 bulbs: Here

I was wondering has anyone had any experiance with them as I know the ones that are just plastered with normal LEDs are poo!

I know an alternative is the CFL bulbs that are bigger Here

But need to work out whats best to get before I buy the holders as I'm guessing if I get the deeper ones for the CFL bulbs it wouldn't be a good idea to use standard ones in the holder!

Would 4 CFL (or those LED ones if they are any good) be ok for a kitchen that is 2.5m square?

Sponsored Links
A few years ago my son got one of each to show a customer when he stopped working for himself he passed them to me and I put in the reading lamp in bedroom. The 11W cold cathode was OK not as bright as 50W it replaced but with around 3 foot max between light and page it was OK and cold so it could be moved to suit so better than 50W really. However the LED one was dead loss and was soon removed.
I tried to buy a second cold cathode but it would not fit the holder even though it only hold the neck and whole of lamp is not in any fixing only pins and neck.
It is now a few years on and the LED's are a little bigger but about their limit is in cabinets where you want it very close to what it is lighting.

Sponsored Links
I replaced 12v halogens in my living room with CFL GU10's, made by megaman, in an extra deep GU10 downlight enclosure.

They are cack, they take a couple of seconds before they give off any light and take around 2 minutes to fully warm up, and its very very noticable.

GU10 CFL's - Snog, Marry, Avoid?

Avoid!

Not as small as an MR16, of course, which is one of the reasons it's promising...

Hahaha, they spend umpteen pages comparing it to 50w halogen and 18w CFL then mention it needs a 165mm cut out, and looking at it I'm guessing 7 or 8 inches of headroom...

I've got a client now having their home refitted who want downlights in some areas- bathrooms, work areas- but also want energy efficient lighting. I'm torn between biax downlights, which are better, or GU10 based fittings which means my options are open to swap them for halogen if they grumble about the light quality, or something else such as an acceptable energy efficient replacement should it ever make it to market.

I replaced 12v halogens in my living room with CFL GU10's, made by megaman, in an extra deep GU10 downlight enclosure.

They are cack, they take a couple of seconds before they give off any light and take around 2 minutes to fully warm up, and its very very noticable.

GU10 CFL's - Snog, Marry, Avoid?

Avoid!

Interesting I wouldn't put them in a front room as the light isn't right for that area. However I replaced 11 in my kitchen and they were a vast improvement on the halo's

Marry

Cheers

Richard

Forget CFL - we all will have done in five years time when we will all be using LED's. Instant light and colour temperatures getting better.

Have done several kitchens using 3W Luxeons with single LED far better than these cheap ones with 18 or 21 LED inside. Good light about equal to 20W halogens. Fit and forget with 50,000 life. Just space them closer than halogens.

5W, 7W and 10W LED also available; 10W certainly equal to 50W halogens but still expensive at c £70 a throw. Bought one to trial. The 5W ones are now about the price of 3W ones a year ago.

Still expensive but well suited to houses and commercial spaces with awkward access to change lamps.

thanks for the suggestions and opinions! Really what I need to do is try and view / buy one of them to trial and see what I think. I've been to a few places and seen the cfl ones on show but when they are surrounded by 50+ other lights on display in an already lit room there is no way to know what they are like by themselves.

Hahaha, they spend umpteen pages comparing it to 50w halogen and 18w CFL then mention it needs a 165mm cut out, and looking at it I'm guessing 7 or 8 inches of headroom...
Se explain to me why with recessed lights you have to have lots of tiny ones, because I don't get it...

Se explain to me why with recessed lights you have to have lots of tiny ones, because I don't get it...

From my end, cos thats what clients want. Small recessed lights are the contemporary look. You need lots of them cos they don't spread the light so well.

The tech in the item you posted looks intresting, but judging by the number of R80 and PAR38's I rip out to fit MR16's people don't want 7 inch downlights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back