Brickwork expansion joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any just confirm re expansion joints in brickwork for a house. Im aware of 6m runs, but need confirmation of minimum distance from a corner.

The house is 9.15m long of which 3.25m is only single storey (5.9m double storey). The expansion joint therefore can be placed in the single storey part or at least where the join, thefore reducing the overall height required. Is this correct.

Its a new build property.

Regards

Sponsored Links
from what ive learned in the past and confirmed by building inspectors, you should be ok in placing the expansion joint inline with where the upstairs part is going to be
if this is anew build as you say,then your local inspectoe should be able to offer advice,if not,hes not doing his job properly

Depends on your brick type really (clay fired, calcium silicate, concrete etc) but I would say on a standard brick a 9m run should not really need one.If you do decide you need one BS is about 1mm per meter run I think.

Sponsored Links
I don't recall ever seeing an expansion joint in a house - even a large house with 10-15m elevations.

I don't recall ever seeing an expansion joint in a house - even a large house with 10-15m elevations.

Me neither.

I have a a similar side elevation to my own house. This particular wall is south facing, has an unobstructed view of the sun all day and has shown no signs of having needed an expansion joint.

The house is already built, but BCO has requested retrospective movement joints at 6m runs before signing off.

Its gonna be a bugger to cut in and stich to internal brickwork.

Is he being overzealous as it appears the consensus is that it may not be needed.

I thought expansion joints were required at 12m intervals - although that was taught to me at colege by a Surveyor who wasn't all that.

That said I have seen over-sailing of the DPC on a flank wall of a house at 11.5m long, which probably wouldn't have occured with an expansion joint.

The house is already built, but BCO has requested retrospective movement joints at 6m runs before signing off.

Its gonna be a b*****r to cut in and stich to internal brickwork.

Is he being overzealous as it appears the consensus is that it may not be needed.
Ask him what his source of reference is for that standard, as that does not align with the figures quoted in BS5628-3:2005 "Code of practice for the use of masonry". Methinks he is maybe being overzealous and knows not what he talketh about.

Tell the BCO to do one.

Ask him for the reference or authority on 6m wall lengths - because NHBC, Zurich or BRE don't mention this unless for external blockwork.

When necessary, movement joints are in the external leaf only.

Also ask him how you are supposed to tie-in and strengthen the wall either side of this [unecessary] joint?

He is asking for significant unnecessary work, and it is not something which should prevent him signing it off as he will lose any challenge to this

Ask him for the reference or authority on 6m wall lengths - because NHBC, Zurich or BRE don't mention this unless for external blockwork.

I must admit, after much googling, i couldn't see any relevance to 6m.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back