Strengthening existing fencing to keep out a dog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I've never been on this site before but I'm wondering if anyone can help. We have existing wooden fencing with concrete posts and concrete slabs at the bottom down one side of the garden. Most of it is fairly secure but we would like to add some extra protection from the large dog who lives next door and often jumps up it. We had thought about adding some sort of wire fencing but would prefer to attach this to the existing posts if possible. Do you think this would work?

All advice greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
i had a similar problem (same style of fence, but no dog) we added trelis by screwing suppports to the existing wood fence.

I am wondering would it be feasable to drill into concrete posts that are probably small and have reinforcing in them

Thank you. The thing is it's more an issue of strength rather than height - he couldn't get over it but he's massive and v strong! The posts are q small with metal in as you say. Does this mean we couldn't drill into them? (I'm sorry, I know nothing about DIY!)

i am not saying you cant, i am saying "it wont be easy and you may regret doing it. you also may not"

The posts are not that wide so you will have to go for the centre, some posts have the steel slap bang in the middle (not all do though) and its still concrete

what exactly are you going to do (since you have now said its not for height)

Sponsored Links
piece of 2x2 at the top and bottom slid into the post grooves, and then a piece or 2 ( depending on the fence style ) nailled vertical between them where the uprights are...

alternatively, get a hose and spray the dog when he jumps up the fence.. negative re-inforcement..

tell the neighbours that if he breaks the fence and gets into your garden you'll tazer him and charge them for the fence.. ( big dogs runing wild in my garden are considered a threat to me and my family and would be dealt with harshly.. especially after the recent attacks in the news.. )

I'm wondering if a higher fence panel might stop the dog running up to it? The dog maybe trying to jump over the fence panels as it is now.
I have raised my fence panels height over the existing concrete posts from 4' to 6' height.

Thanks everyone. I think the fence probably is about 6' already so he won't get over it. It's him breaking the panels we were worried about so thought that an extra layer of wire fencing on our side would be added security. I wasn't sure if we could attach it to the concrete or not and I'm thinking maybe not now. We'll probably have to get someone round to look at it. (Our neighbour is also going to build a pen for the dog and strengthen some parts herself.)

skiing - deer netting. Stout galavanised wire netting with 100mm x 100mm square holes (and bigger sizes), comes in rolls - farmers use it to keep livestock in. Use galvanised wire ties at the posts (no holes in post then loop the tie around the post) to fix the netting. Depending on existing fence type use galvanised staples for intermediate support for the netting or horizontal wires held in tension with barrel strainers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back