Garage Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to convert our garage which means I will have to remove the existing door, brick half up and istall a window.

I know what to do with the foundations, I now need to find out how I get the new wall built correctly.I realise there's plenty to think about; air bricks, dpc, wall ties, insulation, etc. Can anyone offer any help?

Maybe there's some diagrams on the net that explain the construction in simple detail (I need an idiots guide) - I've looked but can't find anything.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Have you ever laid bricks before?

If you are bricking up the opening then the easiest method is to string a line across the brick coarses,easy as that,i'd chop out the halfs(called toothing out) so that in time the new will blend in more

As for air bricks,have you got to venitlate an existing wooden floor somewhere?-if not there is no need

Remember to install a dpc 150mm of the ground,you might be able to follow the existing.

alllow 100mm cavity opeing and install wall ties on every block coarse at the ends and every 2 on the others,space them at 900mm centres.

Hope this helps somewhat

If you are unsure of the brickwork aspect it might be an idea to get someone to do it for you,ive seen brickwork done by diy'ers that my wife could have done better,and she doesnt do diy,or much else come to think of it lol

Thanks for the advice. The new new blockwork will be rendered so any poor workmanship will be hidden.

How do I get insulation in the cavity if there are wall ties in the way?

Fibreglass cavity batt type insulation is sized so that it fits between wall ties.

Well at least until you need to double up ties at door and window reveals that is! When this is the case, one would just cut it to fit.

Sponsored Links
build oute/inner skin first then install cavity battens as you go along,cut them with a utility knife,unless you have an extremely sharp trowel like me lol

Conversion of a garage is something that requires Building Regulations Approval, I'd suggest you get in touch with your local authority Building Control office and run your proposals past them.

Conversion of a garage is something that requires Building Regulations Approval, I'd suggest you get in touch with your local authority Building Control office and run your proposals past them.

Building control are not in the habit of giving bricklaying lessons.:cool:

The OP has not said what he is converting it into.

He might be converting it into a conservatory, or using it to store explosives, in which case he can save the building notice fee :LOL: lol

Building control are not in the habit of giving bricklaying lessons.:cool:[/quote]

Some do , have been known to pick up a trowel on site visits :LOL:

Yeh, but surely that's just to fend off unhealthy interest from those with the webbed feet and cleft palets?

to noseall - who said anything about bricklaying lessons??? The initial post was regarding general guidance??? And judging by some of the brick layers I have dealt with recently, some of them could do with further lessons!!!

to ^woody^ - converting a garage into a conservatory would not necessarily make it exempt, certain criteria still have to be met for it to be exempt under schedule 2 of the regulations. As for the explosives store comment - thats one of the daftest things I've heard in my life.

BC, you're new round here aren't you...? You might want to get to know the Woodster and Nose, before you pile into them....

Mikric's helped to redress the balance of opinion around here regarding LABCOs, don't go undoing all his fine work now. ;)

shytalkz - im not 'laying into' anybody, just pointing some things out. Plus there comments to me weren't exactly welcoming were they?

You're a BCO, what do you expect? :LOL:

Both Woodster and Nose are oft capable of posting in an impish way and their posts above were just that.

Lighten up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back