Chimney breast rebuilding regulations/certifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous owners of our house removed the chimney breast in the front room (to put in a mini bar!) but left the chimney breast in the room above. I've looked under the floorboards upstairs and it looks like they haven't put in a proper support under the remaining chimney breast.

I want to get the chimney breast rebuilt, and as its structural work I want to know if there are any certifications the builders have to supply to carry out/guarantee the work is done to UK building regulations - do they have to be part of a recognised UK national body?

I'd like to put these requirements in a job spec I'm posting online.

Cheers all.

Sponsored Links
If you are just rebuilding the breast to act as a support, then this is not notifiable work.

If you are forming a flue to reuse a fire, then you need a b/regs application, and a CORGI/CAPITA certified installer if this will be a gas fire.

Otherwise anyone can do this type work

Cheers Woody - we're not going to be using it as a flue - just as support.

You're obviously more clued up on this than I am, but do I really not need any certifications? I thought any structural work had to have some paperwork attached. What happens when we come to sell the house and we have to provide evidence the work was carried out correctly?

Do we not even need building inspectors come and see if the work is done correctly?

Partial removal of a chimney breast is something that requires Building Regulations approval. This will more than likely be flagged up when you come to sell the property (and should have been when you bought the property!!!). If you need more information on what to do next i'd consult with your local authority building control body. They will more than likely advise you to make a regularisation certificate application and employ a structural engineer to design a suitable solution. This is usually in the form of a series of universal beams between load-bearing walls, or resin fixed steel gallows brackets.

Sponsored Links
They will more than likely advise you to make a regularisation certificate application and employ a structural engineer to design a suitable solution. This is usually in the form of a series of universal beams between load-bearing walls, or resin fixed steel gallows brackets.

Is this if we wish to have the chimney breast left unbuilt? Do we still need this if we're wishing to rectify the previous owners errors by rebuilding the chimney breast?

re-building shouldnt require an application, however I'd check with your local authority building control office as you may need some kind of written clarification should you decide to sell/re-mortgage the property

re-building shouldnt require an application, however I'd check with your local authority building control office as you may need some kind of written clarification should you decide to sell/re-mortgage the property

Thats sounds more like it - thanks.

The breast has been taken down and will be rebuilt.

Its' maintenance, repair or whatever. What it is not, is controlled works, so it can be done without b/regs.

How is this going to be picked up at sale time? It will be a chimney breast, and the surveyor will be expecting ..... a chimney breast!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back