Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys
am building a garage 20x34ft,would 9x2 be ok for the floor for a room above

Sponsored Links
hi guys
am building a garage 20x34ft,would 9x2 be ok for the floor for a room above

No. If the internal clear span is less than 16' then maybe.

if the clear span is 19 feet or so then you may be looking at engineered joists, or a mid-span steel.

well its just under 18ft wide,its only going to be a guest room with only a bed at top

Sponsored Links
hoping you wasnt going to say that :(
ive got the timber now,would it not be safe then?

hoping you wasnt going to say that :(
ive got the timber now,would it not be safe then?

It won't snap no. You may get around it with ply sheathing and 1/3rd span bridging but you will need the advice of Shytalks. ;)

The timber may well do the extra 1.5' or so, as the dimensions in the normal span tables are conservative. Or double up (and bolt) every 3rd joist

Just make sure it has noggins at 1/3 span to keep the floor rigid

The timber may well do the extra 1.5' or so, as the dimensions in the normal span tables are conservative. Or double up (and bolt) every 3rd joist

Just make sure it has noggins at 1/3 span to keep the floor rigid

was just about to ask if i double up a few:cool:

one more thing,is it ok for the raffters not to be conected to the floor timers,so i can get a bit more head space upstairs

one more thing,is it ok for the raffters not to be conected to the floor timers,so i can get a bit more head space upstairs

How so?

It is possible to fix a wall plate to the topside of the floor joists, thus gaining a few more inches.

well,am over here in ireland building a house for myself which is almost done now
just started the block work and up to 11 blocks high,looking at a garage the otheday,they have the floor timer on the 11th block then block inbetween them,then two more on top then fit a wall plate
ive got pics but cant seem to post on here?

yeh not to to happy that way now ive been thinking about it
do you think i should do it the otherway,with a wall plate on top of joist then bolt the rafters onto the ends
it should still give me some room upstairs plus be a better job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back