Replacement Kitchen Cabinet Doors - Vinyl or Foil Wrapped?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My existing Howden kitchen doors are foil over lacquered back and front with matching edging. The foil has peeled away on many doors due to moisture, so looking to replace them. Most of the replacement doors I’ve looked at are vinyl wrapped.
Firstly what’s the difference between foil wrapped and vinyl wrapped?
Secondly what is more hard wearing, vinyl or foil?
Thirdly, what’s the purpose of the over lacquer?

I don’t want to go to the expense of solid wood doors and also looking for something that will fit in with the remaining pieces of the kitchen, so can anyone recommend the best type of door. It needs to be durable as I have two young children. Also has can anyone recommend a replacement door company based on experience?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Vinyl wrapped doors are manufactured using a heat pressed system to seal the vinyl to the 18mm thick mdf. This results in a more durable door finish compared to ‘foil’ which is thinner and less durable and is not advisable to be used in Kitchens. Therefore ‘vinyl wrap’ is more durable.

Vinyl wrap doors do not have an ‘overlaquer’ finish, so it sounds if the original foil wrap doors have been sealed with a lacquer to maybe prevent them from peeling away, which has not been effective.

Hope this helps but let me know if you need more info.

Have vinyl wrapped doors and most have peeled or melted over the toaster or kettle and around the oven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back