DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Boiler pilot light keeps going out

This topic originated from the How to page called Problems associated with noises from the central heating system
Click here to return to the page called Problems associated with noises from the central heating system.

Post new topic   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:29 am Reply with quote

I have a Glowworm boiler whose pilot light keeps going out and I keep having to re-light it manually with a match. The ignition buttom doesn't seem to cause a spark either. The gas supply is fine (my stove works fine), but after about 40 minutes, the pilot goes out. Can anyone please help?
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
breezer

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:06 pm Reply with quote

i am not a plumber or heating engineer but it sounds like the pilot light is partially blocked
 Alert Moderators
Fred

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:44 pm Reply with quote

breezer wrote:
i am not a plumber or heating engineer but it sounds like the pilot light is partially blocked

I guess you would have had this fixed by now but..
(i am also not a plumber or heating engineer)

if the pilot flame looks strong after relighting it this may be ok, if its weak there could be a blockage as breezer suggests, there is usually a thermocouple device that enters part of the pilot flame that keeps the pilot gas feed flowing, if this is faulty that could be the problem.

if there is no spark when depressing the igniter this could be faulty these dont last forever, sometimes the wire from the igniter can be trapped
against the casing and becomes earthed so not allowing a spark to occur
at the spark electrode.
 Alert Moderators
billbill

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:58 pm Reply with quote

posible causes
1.dirty pilot symptom yellow flame (lower temperature soot on thermocouple)
2. worn thermocouple symptom blueflame will not hold
3. faulty gas valve symptom as above more expensive to fix
4. faulty case seal goes out on windy day
5. vitiation lack of air, sooting, (boiler needs servicing gas boilers shoudn't ever soot).
6. lose t\c connection on gas valve
7. some boilers have a over heat swich in the t\c cuircut it may have tripped. why? maybe the pump or the thermostat etc etc
 Alert Moderators
Bonnie8

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:39 pm Reply with quote

Dear Guest,
I just read you message now. i got exact same problem as yours (same boiler, i.e. Glowworm) and i would like to ask have you found the solution yet, if yes, please give me a reply.
thanks in advance!

p.s: original message from Guest:

I have a Glowworm boiler whose pilot light keeps going out and I keep having to re-light it manually with a match. The ignition buttom doesn't seem to cause a spark either. The gas supply is fine (my stove works fine), but after about 40 minutes, the pilot goes out. Can anyone please help?
 Alert Moderators
breezer

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:22 pm Reply with quote

bonnie8, i suggest you re post in the plumbing section, origonal post was in january and this section is closing soon
 Alert Moderators
jaguk

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:08 pm Reply with quote

I have the same problem with my boiler. It's a glowworm Fuel Saver MK II.

Have either of you managed to get your problems fixed? British Gas have attempted many things without success.
RJDavison

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote

Not sure if this will help, but I have a glowworm compact 80e. I had a new PCB board replaced and it seems that the pots on the board were set to maximum at the facory. Boiler was getting up to temperature, then getting too hot becasue of the settings and shutting itself down.

A simple sight turn of the pot cured the fault.
 Alert Moderators
pinners

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote

Hi, hope this helps, its either the thermocouple is faulty or there is to much gas pressure is to high at the pilot which is cause the flame to lift which then cools the thermocouple which in return cuts the gas off because it will only work when there is heat on it, so by you light it with a match your heating the thermocouple which is fooling it and then letting gas in which is why then it works for a while then goes out. And usually you have a 3amp fuse for the ignition which might have blown. but i really wouldn't keep lighting the boiler with a match. get a gas corgi operative out to inspect it. after all, he's had years of experience and wont blow up the house, which you might do if keep messing around with it.
 Alert Moderators
clf-gas

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote

icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif

Ho your really gunna help icon_lol.gif

Have a look at the date icon_eek.gif icon_redface.gif

icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
Moderator 1
Moderator Comment
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:02 pm    Comment:

Enough said

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: