Marks on inside of double glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Marks keep appearing on the inside of the double glazed unit of one of the bedroom windows. To me, the marks look like an impression a textured cloth would leave. It seemed to appear when we had the cold spell, but it is not condensation. Sometimes the window is completely clear.

It is a small bedroom and a large son sleeps in it :LOL: so from time to time we do get condensation on the window overnight.

Condensation was a big problem in the same bedroom a while ago, but the problem was solved when I bought a dehumidifier.

Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
The windows are about 10 years old, and don't have vents fitted.
The other windows are fine, it's just the smallest bedroom which has the problem at the moment.

if the marks are definatly on the inside of the glass then the seals have blown i think. If you want to fix it i think you would have to get a local glazier or window firm in.

Sponsored Links
Yes it looks that way.
OH priced up a sealed unit last week, just debating whether to replace the whole window so I can get to clean it myself - depends on the cost.

I can't understand why the marks are intermittent. If the seal had broken I would think there would be marks there all the time. I'll try to get a photo next time I notice it.

then again it might just be the humidity in the air as you said the dehumidifier worked.

I can't understand why marks appear on the inside though. The marks are there now and its a sunny but windy day.

The marks/finger-smudges were probably made when the unit was being assembled and slight variations in the humidity/air conditions etc cause them to be noticed at certain times.

Thank you both for your input.
It looks like we'll have to bite the bullet and replace the unit then.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back