Immersion Heater stats keep blowing 13amp fuse in wall unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why does my immersion heater thermostat keep blowing?? I have put 2 new stats into my cylinder this past week and they keep blowing the 13amp fuse on the wall connection unit near it. Why is this? What is causing this... I am baffled?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you either need to be competent with a multimeter to test the stats, immersion and the wiring etc, or failing that I would recommend calling in a competent sparky ;)

I tested the old stat before replacing (and the new ones) for continuity. I also tested the resistance of the immersion heater, 19 ohms reading was between the L and N and L and Earth terminals. The 13amp fuses had continiuity BEFORE they keep blowing, and there is 240 volts to the connection unit that is supplying the immersion heater. - Maybe a scaled element is causing the fuse to keep blowing?

Sponsored Links
19 ohms reading was between the L and N and L and Earth terminals.

If thats 19 ohms to the earth then yeh the elements had it. Should get a very high reading to earth (1000's of ohms). You need a plumber to drain top of cylinder and change complete immersion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back