Fittin charge, am i being tucked up?

P

peter1450

Had a price of £210 to fit 40sq metres of carpet on a hall stairs and landing, admitedly there are two flights of stairs with two small winders but seems alot to me or am i living in the past again?

Sponsored Links
depends on the quality of the fitter! If there a master fitter then this is a bout right, if a approved fitter then maybe a little steep, if there a nobody then maybe you need to google the nicf website (National Institute of Carpet and Floorlayers)

p.s, a master fitter will take two days to fit this, maybe one day if he has a goood apprentise working with him.

Thanks for the info matty
If the fitter took two days to fit this amount of carpet i would say i was getting extremly good value for money,my gripe is these guys will be in and out within 4 hours, wish i could command that kind of hourly rate!!

Sponsored Links
there is no way you can install a carpet that fast and have quailty fitting. (unless there is 3 or 4 of them on the job. The fitting will make massive difference to how well the carpet will wear.

Have a look at the nicf website and you will find a good fitter local to yourself, get a quote of them.

excuse my ignorance but what difference would I expect between a master fitter and an approved fitter. Surely there is one proper way to fit a carpet and all fitters should strive for that (whether all can achieve that is another matter).
If I get someone to fit a carpet for me and I say to him that it's not been fitted as good as the last one and he turns round and says sorry mate I'm only an approved fitter he must have been a master fitter is that acceptable.

excuse my ignorance but what difference would I expect between a master fitter and an approved fitter. Surely there is one proper way to fit a carpet and all fitters should strive for that (whether all can achieve that is another matter).
If I get someone to fit a carpet for me and I say to him that it's not been fitted as good as the last one and he turns round and says sorry mate I'm only an approved fitter he must have been a master fitter is that acceptable.

a master fitter is the top of there trade and past very very difficult tests to get there. They are also very rare as not many people can pass it. An approved fitter has to pass a written exam on there knowledge (you will be amazed at how many people have poor knowledge and fail this also) , if they pass this they/you will be given backing by the NICF if there was a problem. However, the nicf will then advice them courses etc to get themself to a high standard.

I would always advice a master fitter as you know they can do the job properly and you know that they have been installing for a while and its not there second week or something.

You always run the risk that the guy who comes and fits your carpet is not as good as the last person, but when someone finds a fitter there happy with they normally stick with them.

"Master" carpet fitter, give me a break

:LOL:

I think I paid £2.50 per square meter for the last hall, stairs and landing I had fitted. I can't really see how the fit could be improved upon, then again we are hardly talking about replacing the Regal carpets at Buckingham Palace here. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back