brown gunge leaking down facia boards from flat room - help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My flat roof is 14 years old, and I have recently discovered brown gunge type stuff leaking onto my windowsill and door frame, is this coming from the flat roof?

If so, what do I need to do to rectify it? Does not seem to be after its been raining either.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated - thank you.

Sponsored Links
Hi emgem, very likely to be a chipboard decking that has got soaked due to a leak.
I did one last week, sounds like the same brown stains.
It may take a day or so after it has rained to leak through, chipboard is like a sponge, soaks up the water then of course it will slowly (for now) drip through until it is dry again.
Get it looked at sooner rather than later and if it is chipboard have it all changed for 18mm ply decking or sterling board.
Try and get a recomendation rather than using someone you know nothing of.

Hi Spooked, thanks for your reply.

Would this also happen to a polyroof?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks
Emgem

Sponsored Links
If it's leaking, yes, do you know if it was overlayed? ie new roof over the old felted roof.
The brown is usually the bitumen mixing with the water but if the deck is chipboard it may have had a bitumen coat on it already.
Difficult without seeing it of course.
One way, if you can get up there, is to take a hose up and drench it for a few hours and see what develops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back