Plug socket "explode" (noise) and main fuse discon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
This is my first post, so I join your community! I will try to detail thoroughly the issue. I have attached pictures!

We have a problem in the flat where the fuse corresponding to a few socket plugs keeps "disconnecting".
By doing so it also produce a loud noise (Bang) and sparkle and sometimes smoke, to the "plug" located near the floor, on the shower room.

I first expected overload of devices as this "fuse" in the main box corresponds to like 4-5 plugs in 3 different rooms, and the plug in the shower room. But I have tested with no plugged devices and it seems to be randomly happening.

The "scary" thing is that smoke and noise coming from the "socket plug"...

So I "lowered" the fuse in the main box, and unscrewed the socket plug. It was a bit rusty due to water cleaning (I KNOW!!! terrible, who put a plug there??? it's hard to wash the floor)

Then I decided to "unfix" the socket and I have three "naked" wires, a black, a red, and a copper one. I put transparent "tape" like "scotch" in an attempt to "isolate" them and make them "inactive".

However it still "Blows", "bang" and smoke in that particular socket.

I have no idea what is going on!

Could it be like another device causing that?

Why would it smoke, sparkle, and bang if it is disconnected?

Could it be the fuse in the main box? If so, why does it "bangs" on one socket?

Could it bang there, if the problem is from elsewhere?

Well Many thanks for any attempts to help me!!!

Jean

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't have a socket there, call an electrician to come an remove it completely including the wires into the shower room.

You shouldn't have a socket there, call an electrician to come an remove it completely including the wires into the shower room.
Hi both of you!

Thanks for the fast answers.

I understand it's "dodgy" and dangerous, I will ask the landlord for an electrician.

However, in the meantime it has been there for ages (I have been here 2 years so far) and it did not make that problem...

In particular, when today I decided to "isolate" the naked wires to make it "unactive", it still blows up. That's my concern/question...

As for now I'm going to put a big warning note for the flatmates, and a plastic sheet to "isolate" it temporarily...

I would appreciate if someone could tell me how come it "explodes" with noise, sparkle, and smoke.

Sponsored Links
A photo of your attempt to "isolate" the "naked" wires with "transparent" "scotch" "tape" might help us identify why it's still "banging", "sparkling" and "exploding"! I suspect the wires may not be quite as "unactive" as you intended. :)

the wires are live!!!!! stop touching it and get your landlord told asap.

I would appreciate if someone could tell me how come it "explodes" with noise, sparkle, and smoke.

It would seem, jokes apart, that something is still shorting out. Either you have not insulated the wires from each other effectively, or there is perhaps water in a junction box under the floor (or similar situation). Regardless, it is time to call the landlord. It is his responsibility to make your living accomodation safe.

A photo of your attempt to "isolate" the "naked" wires with "transparent" "scotch" "tape" might help us identify why it's still "banging", "sparkling" and "exploding"! I suspect the wires may not be quite as "unactive" as you intended. :)

Hi all!
Thanks again!

1) Yes I understand the danger and the urgency and I will contact the Landlord ASAP.

2) Yes the wires are "live" and therefore very dangerous. However I disconnected the "fuse" corresponding to that "plug". I still don't touch them and use extreme care

3) Even if my "isolation" is rubbish, the wires did not touch each other, neither they touch like water or iron or conduction surface (nearly 100% sure)

4) Why then if it was touching and making the "smoke, noise, fuse disconnection" it does not always do it "at start"? Sometimes it's ok for like 30 minutes then BOOM again, fuse out in the main box...

5) How do I render those cables inefficient then? Ok... I will call the landlord for an electrician for that.

6) Are we really sure the problem is coming from there? It looks obvious but maybe some other electrical device creates such "high power" and it's randomly blowing out here....?

Thaaaanks!

ps: I KNOW!! It looks dodgy but it's under my control and I keep it safe despite the appearances (no touch, extreme care with handling, fuse disconnected, warning for other people, and putting the box back behind plastic sheet and a paper)[/img]

Call your landlord NOW and get him/her to get an electrician in immediately. It is clear from your 'isolation' that you don't know enough about electrical work to be fiddling with this (and in fact you're probably strictly speaking in breach of your rental contract)...

As a side note - I'd be fairly sure that it isn't those wires that are causing the problem - if they were producing smoke, they'd look a lot more charred than they do in your photos. My guess would be that it's a spur off a ring main from a junction box under the floor, that's got water in to it (there doesn't appear to be any sealant between the lino and the skirting board, so water could easily get down the gap), and that's what's causing the problem.

do not ASK your landlord to get a sparky in, DEMAND that he gets one there today, if not you'll get your own and send him the bill..

this should not have passed any inspection that landlords have to take in order to rent out a property..

sockets in shower / bathrooms are simply not allowed..

I would suggest that if the landlord does not respond with 24 hours then you contact the local building control office of the council and inform them of the situation.

This has all the appearances of a house converted into flats and as such (under English law, Scotland maybe different) have been thoroughly inspected by the local building control office before occupancy was allowed. That socket being there suggests the conversion work was not properly inspected. That is a serious error by the landlord.

I'd also be concerned by the lack of any 6A breakers in that consumer unit. I have a horrible feeling that that 16A is for the lighting circuit.

I'd also be concerned by the lack of any 6A breakers in that consumer unit. I have a horrible feeling that that 16A is for the lighting circuit.

The "blue one" marked "16 A" corresponds to the Kitchen Water Heater.

There is another set of 4-5 of these "white boxes" above, that you can not see in the picture. They are marked "6A" and as per my tests they corresponds to the light in the stairway, one other corresponds to the lights of 3 rooms, and one other for other lights...
(I made a paper list of "what is what" and I taped it near the main fuse box)

I read all your comment, yes the place is a very old flat and will have definitely failed any HMO or security/safety tests.

That's unfortunate and illegal but we have to live somewhere... And it's a good location for a reasonable price. Can't afford anywhere else, got made redundant a month ago!!!

Except that little "isolating" incident with the live wires, I am pro active in keeping the flat safe! I have put new fire alarm detectors, etc...

Anyway I am not touching anymore that Fuse of the socket plug and I wait the electrician to come and fix that. I will post the solution just in case that will be useful for someone else one day!!

Thanks again much appreciated!

(I made a paper list of "what is what" and I taped it near the main fuse box)

I am pro active in keeping the flat safe! I have put new fire alarm detectors, etc...
While these are good things, they are not your responsibility and you should not be paying for them.

...will have definitely failed any HMO or security/safety tests.
That's unfortunate and illegal but we have to live somewhere... And it's a good location for a reasonable price
The price of the property is irrelevant. That defective socket in the shower room could easily have killed someone. Who knows what kind of mess the rest of the installation is in.

maybe so but getting too tough with the landlord could lead to your tenancy being terminated at the first opertunity putting you back to square one with no gaurantee that the next property that fits your needs and budget will be any better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back