Adding a FCU spur to ring main for a heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - It's been a while since I've posted on here but I need someone to sanity check what I'm about to do!

I have a 1kw panel heater in the main bedroom that was fitted in place of a storage heater (we have Economy 7). It has an FCU connected to the switched (cheap) supply so the heater only works in the night. I want to connect it to the ring main so it can be used at any time.

The ring has 10 sockets on it (4 doubles and 2 singles) and also another 1kw heater in the second bedroom (there are no other spurs on this ring). I am thinking of adding a spur to the ring to connect the other heater to. Both heaters are on the same internal wall and are virtually back to back. I was going to spur into the FCU for the heater that is on the ring. The spur would be no longer than a foot and I would use the same gauge wire that is on the ring. I would also put a 5amp fuse in the two fcu's

I have read that adding an FCU on a spur is acceptable so long as the floor space is below 120sq yards and the total load is less than 7.2kw. We are well in the space requirements and the only other things that are plugged into the ring is a PC, a couple of lamps, a fan and a mobile phone charger.

I think it'll be OK but if someone can think of something I've missed then please say.

Thanking you very much in advance,

Voicey.

Sponsored Links
Disclaimer: I'm not a qualified electrician, just a DIYer....

Sounds fine to me - ideally you'd extend or break into the ring, but if that isn't practical, nothing wrong with a spur. The only thing you need to concern yourself with, is that any cable that isn't of a suitable type (SWA/pyro etc) buried at less than 50mm in a wall must be RCD protected, so if your current ring isn't RCD protected then you may have to do something about that.

Disclaimer: I'm not a qualified electrician, just a DIYer....

Sounds fine to me - ideally you'd extend or break into the ring, but if that isn't practical, nothing wrong with a spur. The only thing you need to concern yourself with, is that any cable that isn't of a suitable type (SWA/pyro etc) buried at less than 50mm in a wall must be RCD protected, so if your current ring isn't RCD protected then you may have to do something about that.

Nice one - cheers!

sounds about right, but are you doiing it or an electrician.
The work will reqiure a minor works cert, but is not notifiable to controls.
SPS

Sponsored Links
sounds about right, but are you doiing it or an electrician.
The work will reqiure a minor works cert, but is not notifiable to controls.
SPS

I'll get my electrician friend to come in and do it for a couple of beers - thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back