what to do if turf shrinks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just layed ne wturf down today and so far its looking top notch!just wanted to ask IF it shrunk what are the remedies?lets hope it dont anyway but just in case!i have watered it for ages today, how long shall i keep this up?we are forecast good weather over next few days for a change :D

Sponsored Links
Water it every day unless you get heavy rain. You need to prevent the roots from drying out until they have grown into the top soil. Keep this up for a couple of weeks. Dont walk on it or mow it until the roots have taken.

Fill any gaps that appear inbetween the turfs with top soil and grass seed. Garden centres sell bags of sterilised topsoil.

Give it a good soaking with a hose pipe in the early morning or at night time. This way the water wont evaporate in the heat of the sun. If you water during a hot day, the roots can get scorched.

Cant really say how long to water for, but a decent watering each day will greatly help a new lawn. No need to drench it, just ensure that the lawn doesnt dry out or it might start to die off in areas.

The visible joints between the turfs will eventually disappear, giving you a lovely looking lawn. The turfs will only shrink if allowed to dry out. When you think the roots have established themselves, you will only need to water during dry periods without rain. By the time autumn arrives you wont need to water the lawn ever again

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Ive since moved house so Im in the process of doing it all over again.

Forgot to mention, in autumn it might be worth sprinkling some granular Autumn lawn feed on your new lawn to keep it healthy.

When Ive relaid my current lawn at the end of this summer I intend to apply both spring and autumn feed onto the lawn each year.

Theres something quite British about a good lawn!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back