Solvent Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a patch of dried adhesive on my dashboard.

It is very old & hard and left over from when some self-adhesive pads were stuck on to hold my Trafficmaster unit in place.

What is the best thing to remove this: would something like surgical spirit do the trick?

Sponsored Links
Surgical spirit might do the job, though I've not ever used it for such a purpose. I would try the usual white spirit, or meths, or turps. However I'd be just a little concerned about damaging the surface, as the dashboard is subject to such intense heat sometimes and could react badly to the wrong stuff. Test it on a hidden spot first.
Petrol's another good one. Or acetone... if you want a smudged and partially melted look.

My laboratory produces Universal Solvent at £5 a litre

Unfortunately I can't send you a bottle.

Sponsored Links
Can you tell me what it is & where to buy it?

I don't fancy a melted dash, but would like to get rid of it if possible.

Will WD damage the plastic?

you can't buy Universal Solvent in the shops. Every time we make a batch and bottle it, it dissolves the bottles.

It's a joke, see?

you can't buy Universal Solvent in the shops. Every time we make a batch and bottle it, it dissolves the bottles.

Like evaporated milk, if it's evaporated why is the tin full, when you open it?

It's a joke, see?

spark - liquid lighter fluid. Fantastic stuff for residue removal of all types; all homes should have a can. Test on discrete area first.

Do not use any volatile solvents, particularly petrol, inside an unventilated 'cell' such as a car. There are enough continually live components within a car to cause an explosion. :eek:

White spirits is the most sensible suggestion.

lighter fuel will do a better job as it contains no oil, [the petrol propellant and thinner in wd40 is what removes the glue.]You don't need an oily dashboard.
Unless it was double sided foam tape , not found a solvent that will touch it as yet [and the manufacturer didn't know of one either].
White spirit is a poor option and leaves a nasty oil residue.
Very little risk of igniting the small amounts required and most car care products that are spray cans contain highly inflammable propellant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back