Noisy boiler since draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I had to remove a radiator to decorate a bedroom in my house to remove the woodchip wallpaper from behind it. All was going well, until i took the radiator off and the joint between the thermostat and the floorboards started dripping.
I tried to tighten it up but was unable to, so in order to prevent a leak, I drained the system fitted a JC Speedit end stop onto the pipe having removed the thermostat and then refilled the system.

I have bled all radiators in my house and also bled the pump, but after about 5-10 mins of having the heating on - the boiler starts making a noise. The heating works fine in all radiators but the noise sounds like a saw and is coming from the boiler (not the pump)
I have only left it on making a noise for another 10 mins or so - but have repeated this daily for 3 days.
There are also two vertical sections of pipe with values on the end in the airing cupboard, which i have bled to let the air out of them too.

Any ideas what I can try?

Boiler is Baxi Solo HE
( It isnt a combination boiler and I still have a water tank in the loft)

(having read up a bit more on what i did to prevent my flood, the only thing i can think of that i may have not done "by the book" was that i turned the boiler off from the control panel - and not the mains electric. Is it likely i have damaged the boiler?
Should i leave it on for longer (making noise)?

Sponsored Links
I would love to help you but without the boiler model I cannot think of anything to say.

Do you have a car? If so do you know what model that is or just a box with four wheels?

Tony

Further details:

I've put it on again just now. Within 5 minutes, the boiler started making the noise which sounds like a lawnmower/strimmer - sounds for a few seconds, then off for a few seconds and repeats continuously.

It only seems to happen when the central heating is on, not the hot water.

The sound seems to come from the boiler, not from the pump.

When i turn the heating off (via thermostat), the boiler shuts down and the sound slowly fades out (as though a motor is slowing down and stopping)

Any ideas what i have done? or what i can try to fix?

Sponsored Links
sure you bled the pump properley.

sounds like the boilers overheating if its only cycling for a few secs.

hi

thanks for the reply.
No - guess i am not sure that i bled the pump properly.
It is a grundfos pump. I turned the big screw at the front with a 1p, and let the water drain out. There were still a few drips left when i tightened it back up.
( I did this when the boiler was turned off)

The boiler doesnt actually turn on and then turn off - it remains on - its just the lawnmower type noise that sounds and then doesnt sound. The heating works fine - is this still a sign of the boiler potentially overheating?

no not if the boilers not cycling.
are the rads getting hot etc.

could it be the fan at the top of the boiler ?

so pump is circulating etc.
does it sound as if its coming from the top of boiler ? fan problem.

hi

Just tried it again. Worked fine for the first 5-10 mins. then sound starts again.
I cant really tell where the sound is coming from but it appears to be coming from the top left of the boiler as you look at it

many thanks for your help

I take it if I get the boiler serviced then its something that would be picked up.
Also, as the boiler is only 18 months old - i'm hoping it would be covered by warranty

Lastly, is it safe to use (if I need to, if its cold - we have a 9 month old baby) ? or should i make sure that we do not have the heating on until it is fixed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back