Mercedes Viano Air suspension - Replace with springs??

Sponsored Links
Can you give any more info as to the problem? The air suspension system should work with a high degree of reliability. Of ten faults are misdiagnosed.

Sponsored Links
Had a new air pump fitted 18 months ago, to the tune of £1400.

About 6 months ago a friend of my wife (who is about 20 stone) got in the back.

The indicator light for the air suspension came on, the suspension did not completely drop until about 3 months ago.

Despite trying to operate the self levelling switch and go through the routine set out in the manual it will not even rise slightly.

I am an electrician so with some 'guidance' could check the electrical system but I cannot even locate the pump!!!

Ok ts is going to be a long one!

Essentially the system ( though I don't know the Mercedes one intimately) works as follows.

You have a compressor which has a drier in it ( like air con) etc. There will be valve blocks to distribute the air, a resevoir, a control unit and some sort of height sensor, possibly 4 of them.

Firstly you need to get the ecu memory read and list the fault codes and what they relate to.

The nextthing to do is to check for air leaks ( soapy fairy liquid) on all joints and air springs and all over the resevoir.

Next I'd look at the calibration. By this I mean with an empty load, measure the height from the centre of the wheel hub to the top of the wheel arch. I think they should se within 10 mm of each other. If not then the system ecu will need to be told what they are so as to allow the offsets.

Next look at the height sensors. Check for corroded or broken pins on the units and connectors. Height sensors are usually fitted to the body/subframes with an arm to a wishbone. On a calibrated vehicle at normal height the output signal voltage will be 0 volts rising to around 4.75 volts at maximum compression to -4.75 volts at max extension. The voltages could be different but most systems work on a 5V signal.

If you have an oscilloscope then you can look at the trace pattern. Should be a linear line with the ride height value being 0 volts. Most sensors work on a 90 degree sweep. Look for noisey signal as well.

If no faults show then other causes can be road speed sensor, door switches even interior lights but I'd doubt these ( apart from the road speed) would feed into the suspension ecu.

Other causes I've come across is water in the drier so it gets blocked, a favourite on Range Rovers and Discoverys from a few years ago.

Let me know how you get on.

Back