Stone Walls in Bathroom - How to prepare for Tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Forum,
I'm replacing the bathroom of my stone walled welsh cottage.
I've stripped the loose lime plaster from the 2 external walls & the lath & plaster from the 2 internal 3x2 stud walls. Both in decent condition, but stone walls probably need up to 20mm thickness to fill out mortar joints & even them out to a flat surface.
Plan is to tile the 4 walls, floor to ceiling & reinstate a shower over bath in one corner (stone wall on long side of bath, stud wall on short side with shower unit mounted on it - NB: Bath shown in the pic is being replaced & repositioned)

Basic question is: What's the best way of preparing these walls for tiling (in particular the corner where the shower over bath is – do I need tanking etc…)

Materials already purchased…
Ceramic tiles - 198x248, 10.5kg / m2
BAL Grip Tile Adhesive
BAL Microflex Grout with 2mm spacers
12.5mm Water resistant Gyproc plasterboard for stud walls

Many thanks in advance for any advice, and I have to say this forum is awesome - I’ve managed to renovate the rest of the house so far based on advice I’ve found here & I’m thinking of erecting a sign saying ‘House Renovation Sponsored by diynot.com”!
:)
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Bring the stone walls level with render. Plasterboard walls around a shower should be tanked - if you're tanking the short shower wall, you might as well tank the other shower wall too.

Thanks for prompt reply gcol :)

Just want to check a few things before I get going:
1. Render mix? 1:5 cement / plasterers sand ?
2. Tanking? BAL WP1 Shower Tanking Kit?
3. How long to leave new render before tanking / tiling - 2 weeks?

Thanks in advance

Weefer

Thanks for prompt reply gcol :)

Just want to check a few things before I get going:
1. Render mix? 1:5 cement / plasterers sand ?
2. Tanking? BAL WP1 Shower Tanking Kit?

Thanks in advance

Weefer

1. Yep that's fine.
2. Yep that's fine.
3. Yeah, 2 weeks minimum. If you've plenty of cash and want to tile next day, you can use Bal quickset render. Not used it myself though.

EDIT: Actually 48 hours if you want to use the Bal render, not next day.

Sponsored Links
2 weeks is usually more than enough for a finish "skim" but you should leave a cement render of any significance for around 4 weeks; apart from the residue moisture you could be tanking in there, cement doesn’t fully cure until around 28 days. ;)

http://194.223.92.131/pdf/Technical%20Data%20Sheets/B%20&%20C%20Technical%20Data%20Sheets/Bal_WP1_Tanking_System.pdf
Quote:
NEW CEMENT/SAND RENDERING: Before commencing tanking, allow new rendering to dry out by exposure to air for at least 2 weeks...

Well the fact sheet does say “AT LEAST 2 WEEKS”. Personally I would treat render the same as float & set plaster; I wouldn’t risk tanking a rendered wall I’d done after just 2 weeks. A 12mm+ cement/lime render can take some time before the moisture content matches ambient, apart from the cure time. BAL quickset cement (& I love BAL stuff!) may be an option but I’ve never tried it. All cement render has water in it which has to dry out &, surely, tanking a wall while it’s still basically wet can’t be a good idea as it will effectively seal in moisture!

Anyway, why aren’t you reading those bedtime stories to your kids :LOL: ; that’s more important. ;)

She's in bed and the missus is watchin' Hells Kitchen - so you're stuck with me!
I'm no real expert in rendering/plastering, but I can do it and it doesn't fall down. Have another look at that data sheet - using the tanking solution on new plaster is recommended after a minimum of 4 weeks. On render is a minimum of 2 weeks. Go figure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back