Where to vent a blocked chimney breast?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're fitting a built-in extractor in a chimney breast above an range oven. We're running the duct out of the side of the chimney breast rather than up it to avoid long ducting runs etc.

I'm aware now we're effectively blocking the chimney - so there is a need to ventilate it by including an air brick of some kind somewhere in the breast. Obviously we can't do this at the bottom of the opening (as this is where the extractor will sit). And either side, we had planned kitchen cupboards high up. See image:

Where would people advise building in an air brick (assuming it's wise)? I can see three options at the moment:
1) Between worktop and bottom of cupboard (on either side of the breast) - little ugly and assume replacing a brick below the lintel level will not cause problems to sturcture of breast.
2) At cupboard height into small void created by cupboards not fitting alcoves perfectly (about 100mm or so). But since this opening would be blanked at the front (with fascia) would this really be wise?
3) Vent in another room on first or second floor - but in effect this is a different run of the breast, no? So it probably should be ventilated already ...

Obviously I will make necessary checks to see the chimney is capped appropriately to prevent water ingress when work is completed.

Appreciate the help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back