Applying matt black onto double width metal garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want my old up n over door to be matt black, can you recommend the best way to do this (currently the door has old gloss type paint on it)

Sponsored Links
I might not be too successful mate...oil based matt isnt vert flexible and wont cope very well with all the movement and banging

What about if I use gloss black and then overcoat with matt varnish? or could I use a black emulsion?

Sponsored Links
What about if I use gloss black and then overcoat with matt varnish? or could I use a black emulsion?

Varnish is just paint without the colour..its still too brittle, metal expands and contracts with heat..more sure if its painted black, which as Eddie said wiill soak up the heat.

Emulsion...no chance.

Wash it down well, with sugar soap or soda crystals, (you'll have some under the sink;) ) whilst washing it down, use wet and dry sandpaper, 400 grade and in the grooves, scour along them with one of those green things, (you'll have one on top of the sink ;) )

This would've been a perfect job for Crown Solo One Coat Self Undercoating Gloss , but...you want matt. (Even Zampa could've used this).

The only 2 things I can think of are Black undercoat, but it wont have the lasting qualities of Gloss.... or 2 coats of Dulux or Johnstone' or Sandtex smooth black masonry paint. Easy to apply and long lasting.
You must rub it down well, to give it a good key.

Your problem will be the heat. If you get the sun on it at all, it will get red hot, but at least there will be no knots in it. :)

It's not that the door will get hot, it will radiate into the garage, which you might not want. My garage door is painted dark blue, and when the sun's on that you can feel the radiant heat on the inside a good few feet way.

Good theory with the undercoat and I reckon the best bet...I was actually going to suggest it but I thought I'd give growler the opportunity to be right for a change... :evil:

Not sure about the Snadtex though..

Hey hang on......... :idea:

Why not a compromise...black pliolite?

Thanks for all your help lads, undercoat it is then, the door is in the sun all day, so I suppose it will turn the interior of the garage into a blast furnace! Out of interest, I wonder how much cooler the door would be if it was painted white?

Thanks for all your help lads, undercoat it is then, the door is in the sun all day, so I suppose it will turn the interior of the garage into a blast furnace! Out of interest, I wonder how much cooler the door would be if it was painted white?

quite a lot, it's suprising how much heat they radiate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back