DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Connecting downpipe into Cast Iron soil pipe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Roofing and Guttering
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr M

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote

I originally posted this in the Building section but received no responses so presumeably, it was in the wrong section. I am after some suggestions on the easiest and most cost effective way of dealing with the following:-

The hopper shown in the picture below is taking from left to right; 32mm Bathroom wash hand basin waste, 68mm down pipe from roof and 40mm Bathroom bath waste

this then goes into a 68mm down pipe which does not discharge into a gully but discharges all water at the side of the 4" cast Iron soil pipe into the formed channel. This channel then runs down into a gully which takes the kitchen sink and washing machine wastes

I think with the amount of water which is being discharged, this is having a detrimental effect on the adjacent Kitchen floor which is solid, not timber. The floor is uneven and has a 'hump' in it and the floor tiles are loose and are cracking underfoot. I think the water is saturating the Kitchen subfloor and I therefore need to eliminate it discharging directly onto the floor outside.

Rather than Installing a gully and having to excavate to connect this into the underground drainage system, Is there a way of connecting the 68mm downpipe (below the hopper), into the cast Iron soil pipe. I assume I would need some sort of fitting or adapter to clamp onto the soil pipe and that a hole would need to be formed in it or would the cast iron soil pipe need to be replaced in plastic and then a 'Y' or branch type fitting be Incorporated into this to connect the 68mm downpipe into.

Look forward to your thoughts and suggestions.

Mr M
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
justlead1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote

Hi. Is not that easy. The hopper and 65 mm pipe if connected to soil would omit odour / smell from the soil pipe / drains , which is dangerous to health.
We can purchase strap on bosses for cast iron, which require a hole to be drilled in the soil pipe and then clamped into position, the wastes pipes are then connected (presuming the appliances they serve are trapped?) Good Luck
 Alert Moderators
Mw Roofline

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote

Like justlead said, are the appliances trapped? It would look a little like spagetti junction but it can be done.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Roofing and Guttering All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: