Leaking quadrant shower cubicle - Merlyn/Black Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We had our bathroom installed 2.5 years ago by a couple of 'professional' bathroom fitters. Nearly threw them off site twice and wish I actually had. :cry:

The quadrant shower enclosure is a Black Box one - a Merlyn brand, and has suffered from leaks around it from day 1. As this has got very bad, I've now mnaged to find the installation instructions and see it should only be sealed inside down the wall joins and outside along the bottom rail, and 50mm up the wall. My fitters sealed both sides every where, so I suspect water that by design should maybe be running down in and around the enclosure, and should then be able to flow into the tray and away, is getting trapped in side the framing, by the inner sealant around the bottom rail and coming out where it can.

It looks like the bottom rail is corroding through with a pin hole, so enclosure will have to come out. Anyone have any experience of this make? If installed correctly are they OK? Reasoning is with the existing holes it would be easier to fit a similar enclusre to replace it IF its going to work when correctly installed. Otherwise any thoughts advice etc. ?

I am going to ring Merlyn, although their literature does say if its incorrectly installed..... As for the fitters, well sooner not have them within 50 miles, never mind back inside the house!!! :evil:

Sponsored Links
Your description and reasoning for correct sealing is spot on. Am a bit surprised that it's corroding so quickly after installation. Merlin may be able to supply the main frame without the doors(which you ca re-use) which should keep the cost down.

Thanks Dextrous for confirming my thoughts. I suspect the corrosion is due

a) because of the amount of water which would seem to be large coming out the wrong side - so I think the frame is probably filling right up (OK there must be some air or there'd be no corrosion :rolleyes: ),

b) Its doing it in 2 symmetrical spots, so I suspect a strengthening brace internally so may be a spot weld?

c) The clowns who fitted had a right going on, - they actually constructed it in a bedroom and then struggled through with it, and made a meal out of the assembly - so it may well have been 'flexed' if you follow me, and with said strengtheners I think are there in b) .....

Good thought re the frame - i haven't had as chance to speak with Merlyn yet. Have you sued Merlyn before? Does their stuff usually work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back