Broken Treads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a number of broken treads on my stair case and wondered how easy it is to replace them. I have no access to the underside of the staircase as it is plasterboarded and artexed. Would it be simpler and is it possible to fix another surface on top of the broken boards?

Sponsored Links
Where about is it broken ? Is it just the nosing of the tread ?

It's not the nose - the treads are broken in the middle right the way from side to side. Some are so bad there are gaps in them. Presently I have just padded them with double layers of underfelt below the carpet but I would like a better finish as this looks bulky and ugly. I am currently putting laminate flooring round most of the house as we have three dogs and a cat and I am fed up of trying to get the hairs out of the carpets especially on the stairs.

Once the treads are sorted is it possible to use laminate on the stairs or would it be too slippy and dangerous?

MEPEK said:
It's not the nose - the treads are broken in the middle right the way from side to side. Some are so bad there are gaps in them.
How wide are the gaps ?

I don't think it would be possible to use laminated flooring on the staircase because of expansion & safely issue.

Sponsored Links
I can stick my little finger in some of them

MEPEK said:
I can stick my little finger in some of them
Oh dear, as bad as that !

Has the riser (upright board) been push back because of the treads has now widen ?

Are the string (where the risers and treads join at the side) are okay ?

A photo would be great

There is carpet over the stairs at the moment but if I remember correctly some of the risers were pushed back a little. The strings looked OK although I was worried about how safe the stairs are considering the amount of damage to the treads. I am researching this problem now to ensure I have all I need - both knowledge and material wise - before I go ripping up my carpet.

I've looked at the laminate nosing. Thanks. What would you use at the back and sides - ¼ round?

MEPEK said:
I've looked at the laminate nosing. Thanks. What would you use at the back and sides - ¼ round?
Interesting and I be interested if anybody have done this & give their opinion, doesn't say about using underlayer. I would've thought it will need expansion gap as well maybe ? Could be noisy as with any stairs without carpet but thinking in a term of air squeezing out the sides or springy action maybe ? Be great to hear anyone who has one fitted.

MEPEK,

To be honest you would need to rip out the plasterboards underneath to do a decent repairs, if not then plenty of strong wood glue with thin timber then sanded down plus some strong wood filler.

i am just wondering if the wedges have fallen out
what ever it is i would want to investigate properly if the wedges holding the risers are loose fallen out the treads must also be loose to slip back so the stair case may or may not be in a generaly bad condition and possibly becoming unsafe

dont wont to frighten you but i would look at a minimum of the areas under the dammaged treads as masona says "rip it out and start again"wasnt that a song ;)

Thanks all.

I always fancied an open staircase to let more light into the hall. If I am ripping out the plasterboard anyway - Is it possible to remove the risers on the existing stair while I am repairing the treads or is it an entirely different staircase construction that is required altogether.

Yes, everything is removable depending how well it's glued and the layout of your staircase, a straight flight of staircase is the easiest to do.

You could remove one of the treads & risers and take it to the joinery shop to have some new one made up or complete the staircase. The most popular timber for staircase tread is parana pine (a nice hint of slight red wood grain) that if you're not going to use carpet again.

If you want to have open riser may be quicker & cheaper for a new staircase instead as the treads are thicker without the risers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back