Brick BBQ's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking into possibly building one while I'm re-doing the whole garden.

I know it'd look nice when its all freshly built but what are they like after a while, are they easy enough to keep clean. I don't really fancy something that's going to look like its been blown up after been used a few times.

Sponsored Links
They are really great if you give some thought to your personal requirements in the design regarding size, multi grill positions & dead space etc as part of the brick structure; also build in storage cupbords for all the BBQ carp underneath. I’ve had mine for 20+ years & wouldn’t be without it. It has had a facelift in that time but an anual pressure wash keeps it looking good & the burnt bricks just adds character. If you don’t want to be messing around with laying bricks, you can even build a circular column BBQ without any cement at all; my brother in law has had one for just as long & just moves it around when he fells the need.

Ah well, you’ve sort of caught me out there; the BBQ I referred to in my post is actually still at the house we moved out ofa couple of years ago :oops: but it was 20 years old when we moved, honest; it was part of a brick walled patio area but I don't have any easily available photos.

I’m still internally rebuilding the old house we bought here so I haven’t actually got around to building a new BBQ but it will happen, probably later this year! We cook outside a lot & I've even been know to do one in the snow but I’m currently using a 25 quid, steel kettle special from our local hardware store :rolleyes: .

This one;
http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/construction/barbeque/barbeque.php

is almost identical to the one I had but as well as the storage bit at the side (which on mine was larger), I installed a 10mm steel plate below the grill supports & layed a brick base over the top to carry the ash pan so I could have storage underneath the BBQ as well. I also cut the sideways grill support bricks with a grinder so they didn’t protrude on the outside. Buy a quality grill & ash pan kit BEFORE you start; I found the grills OK but the ash pans are far too thin & rubbish which only last a couple of years at most. I ended up getting a local engineering shop to bend me one up to the same pattern in 4mm steel; cost me about 10 quid but lasted 10 years before I had to replace it!

I included a damp membrane in the base to keep the cupboards a little drier, lined the openings with timber battens & fitted some purpose made doors. I also piped & pulled in some cable for lighting facilities at the back but the regulations have changed somewhat now & DIYing garden electrics is no longer straight forward & professional installation can be expensive.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back