Joist size for decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm about to start my first decking project and have a few questions I hope someone can answer for me.

1. Is there a set dimension that I have to use for the joists?? 6x2 or can I use 3x3. I will be using cheap slabs to support the joists as I am spanning mud and concrete.

2. Do I screw or nail the joist together, I have seen both, but I prefer the idea of screwing them.

Any info or guidance would be great as I only get the one shot at this.

Cheers in advance

Damian

Sponsored Links
either 6 x 2 , or 4 x 2, but youll need more supports for 4 x 2

you can screw or nail, but if you nail you need to use annular nails

how are your L brackets held on then?

whats not proper about using screws or shot fired annular skew nails?

Sponsored Links

nothing at all, minor point you didnt say shot fired 1st time around.

I use a bostitch that will put a 90mm brad in.
socket head deck screws i would recommend.

what are the minimum distances for supports if you are using 6 x 2 or 4 x 2 and also the centres distances for the joists?

aha point taken. From a maintnance point of view socket head screws are a nightmare to undo in later years.

what are the minimum distances for supports if you are using 6 x 2 or 4 x 2 and also the centres distances for the joists?

centres for joists should be 400mm. supports normally around 1.5m. No real hard and fast rule. we always do the bounce test after its done and put in any extra if needed

aha point taken. From a maintnance point of view socket head screws are a nightmare to undo in later years.

everything is a nightmare :D

Cheers for the replies people, the problem that I am having is that I cant use 4x2 or 6x2 joist as the height of the decking is going to be to high for the area. I have already built a wooden retaining wall and if I use either of these two sizes of joist then the decking will be half way up the wall.

I need to use 3x3 but I dont know how far apart I have to place the joist to be able to support the planks on top so as not to have any owing when I walk on it.

Will placing the 3x3 joist 300mm apart be ok for what I am trying to do??

Cheers in advance all.

Damian

you will need to increase the number of verticle supports or it will flex like trampoline :D

At that size of beam i would be fitting the post supports no more than 0.75M metre apart in any direction. 300MM sounds fine, just fit plenty of noggins to go with the joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back