Painting on fresh plaster.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I would like the advice of you experienced decorators out there!

I am renovating my pals house into two flats and am quite short on time on the whole job. Building control have made me board external walls with thermal plasterboard which was something that there architech never picked up on . I have now boarded and skimmed them what i would like to know from you guys ( or girls :) ) is how soon can i paint them. I have bought dulux supermatt and usually when I paint over my skimming I wait a good week or more but like I said time is running short do I still need to let it fully dry or can you paint whilst it is still drying.
Obviously I want the job to be done only once and not cause a problem just wondered what experience you guys have had with supermatt.

Cheers

gaz

Sponsored Links
Supermatt is excellent paint..you can thin the first coat by up to 50% easy

As for the walls...the short answer is...when its dry., youll know that when they turn pale pink, normally after about 4 days

Supermatt is excellent paint..you can thin the first coat by up to 50% easy

As for the walls...the short answer is...when its dry., youll know that when they turn pale pink, normally after about 4 days

Cheers for the reply Zampa. I have never seen plaster dry so quick as on these thermal boards was pink after 30 hrs!!! I followed dulux guidlines of 30 percent as had not had a reply from my post..... Is that a bit thick in your opinion??
I wonder if you I can bother you with another problem that I have encountered ...... Artex ceiling that customer wanted flat so did the usual.... knocked nibs of unibonded then skimmed waited a week mist coated with cheap paint and not supermatt then hit with another coat ( fuller coat) but when I left customer to finish ceiling she called me back because it had blistered in a small spot so scraped back and filled was gonna go back and rub down and finish...... what did I do wrong? Ihave experienced this in the past( very occasionally) . I am not a decorator by trade but I do often finish my work off and have asked so many decorators and no one has really given me a definitive answer.

Cheers again bro! :cool:

1 Yeh a little too thick I reckon..but it should be ok

2..Did all the paint blister?..as opposed to just the top coat?..if so it might be because the mist was too thick or the plaster was polished a bit too much

Sponsored Links
1 Yeh a little too thick I reckon..but it should be ok

2..Did all the paint blister?..as opposed to just the top coat?..if so it might be because the mist was too thick or the plaster was polished a bit too much

Hi Zampa ,

Cheers again for the responce, No not all the paint blistered just in a small spot (3" squared) don't reckon that mist coat was too thick but I am a hella for polishing my plaster! I have heard that decorators don't like the plaster polished so much but as a buillder I want to leave it smooth as I can what do you do if you come across polished plaster?

Nice one again Zampa. :)

but I am a hella for polishing my plaster! I have heard that decorators don't like the plaster polished so much but as a buillder I want to leave it smooth as I can
I don't know any builders that like over pollished plaster, it's totally pointless & unnecessary! Paint will have one hell of a job sticking to it & all you’re doing is creating a decorators nightmare getting paint to stick to it in the first place but if anyone wallpaper’s over it in the future, the paint will most likely come off in lumps leaving a hell of a mess & a wall that, most likely, will have to be either completely stripped back or re-skimmed. :cry:

what do you do if you come across polished plaster?
Shoot the plasterer & use a different one next time. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back