hot water but no ch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This same problem happened last year. We have hot water but no ch. If i turn off the boiler for an hour or so the heating comes on for a short while then turns off and stays off. The thermostat is on full, another thing i have noticed is the right side of the boiler gets quite warm (the bolier is a potterton combi 80).I have bled the radiators so i know air isnt in there and the pressure is in the green. ....(this post is accidently been placed in the problems from noises thread i apologise in advance)

Sponsored Links
thanx for the extra quick response ill look for one :)

Sponsored Links
Check you don't have any dripping hot taps. On this boiler the diverter is moved by the temp of a wax stat in the end. If there's enough flow to cool it a bit, it assumes a tap's turned on so doesn't allow the hot water to go to the heating system. The HW flow switch isn't triggered, so not much happens. The boiler comes on, heats up and turns off until it cools enough.
Same thing would happen with a stuck diverter.

Easiest way to deal with / check for hot taps letting water through is to turn off the cold water input valve under the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back