old style wiring/new light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

Had an unsuccesfull search on the forums for this and wondered if someone could help.

Attaching a fancy new light to the ceiling in the bedroom. There are 2 red and 2 black wires coming down from the ceiling which were once attached to a damaged plastic ceiling rose. The new light has the standard L,N & E connectors in a block.

Is it a relatively straightforward job to attach the new light?

Curiously, the ceiling wiring in the other room is the more straightforward L,N & E combination so I guess a partial re-wiring was done in the past?

many thanks in advance for any suggestions!

cheers

Sponsored Links
Errmm instinct tells me:- no, it’s not going to be simple for you. Firstly there are lots of posts covering similar problems. However here goes instalment 1:-

1) Did you note down where the old cables went in the rose terminals?
2) Do you own a multimeter?
3) Do you have other lights in the same room operated from the same switch?
Yes – you probably have a switch supply loop in.
No – You have the perm live and switch return. You will have needed to have noted the old connections or will need to test safely for which wires are which?

How tot test
With the supply off, fuse out etc. Turn the wall switch on. Then continuity test with the meter to find the red & black pair which has continuity. Turn the switch off and check they have none. This is then the switch line and return. Mark the black wire with a small piece of red tape. It’s required at both the fitting and switch ends.

3) Do you have earth wires? You should have – it’s been required since 1971. Also you cannot fit a fitting which requires an earth if you do not have a earth continuity.

4) Continuity testi the earth wire.
You need to check the earth wire is connected to earth. One way is to pug in an extension lead to a switch socket but do not switch on and then put one test probe in the earth pin and another on the ceiling rose earth wire … you should have continuity. If you don’t you have an earth problem.

5) Can you access the ceiling from above (in the roof?)
If you can then you can use a 4 way JB to complete the circuit. (We will explain if needed one we have the above answers)

Its important to realise that all electrical connections must be made in a fire resistant enclosure. This means you cannot use a connector block protruding through a hole in the ceiling.

Let us know what you find out. Alternatively the standard advice is if in doubt to call a pro.

chris182 said:
Hello there,

Had an unsuccesfull search on the forums for this and wondered if someone could help.

Attaching a fancy new light to the ceiling in the bedroom. There are 2 red and 2 black wires coming down from the ceiling which were once attached to a damaged plastic ceiling rose. The new light has the standard L,N & E connectors in a block.

Curiously, the ceiling wiring in the other room is the more straightforward L,N & E combination so I guess a partial re-wiring was done in the past?

many thanks in advance for any suggestions!

cheers

Get up in that loft and have a good shufty at what is really there .... may not be enough just to look at the hanging ends ... eyeballing from above may cast a new light ;) on the situation .
P

Sponsored Links
Hi Brown-nought,

Many thanks for the reply. The old rose was in bits so I wasn't able to mark the connections. There are no other ceiling lights in the room.... I do have a multimeter (perhaps surprisingly)!

So, assuming that I can identify the switch/line and return, how would I go about wiring this in to the new light? My biggest concern is the apparent lack of an earth wire (which is present in the other room). I'll have a good look in the loft to see if it's hidden somewhere. The other room has a very old metallic light fitting in it which I guess is why that particular wiring was upgraded to include a suitable earth?

as i said for reference.

if you can use a multimeter, then you should easily be able to figure out what is what.

Thing that does concern is no earth, sounds like rewire time

chris182 said:
Hi Brown-nought,

Many thanks for the reply. The old rose was in bits so I wasn't able to mark the connections. There are no other ceiling lights in the room.... I do have a multimeter (perhaps surprisingly)!

So, assuming that I can identify the switch/line and return, how would I go about wiring this in to the new light? My biggest concern is the apparent lack of an earth wire (which is present in the other room). I'll have a good look in the loft to see if it's hidden somewhere. The other room has a very old metallic light fitting in it which I guess is why that particular wiring was upgraded to include a suitable earth?

see for reference. only diference being that there is no feed cable for the next light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back