q: impact of NOT connecting earth to Light connection block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just bought a new halogen spotlight that has an earth terminal. House built in 1930s ... hence no earth wire in lighting. What would happen if I simply connected it without the earth ?

Sponsored Links
if it is class 2 (insulated) then nothin, since it does not require an earth. if class 1 (non-insulated) then it MUST be earthed or you could get a shock from it. time for a re-wire

Thanks for the reply.

silly question, but I guess I'm curious ... if I don't get a shock, could I leave it ? And rather than me get a shock, what could I use to test ? ( I have no meter )

On a more serious note, could I run an earth ( just the earth ) from a light terminal in another room ?

the earth is there for saftey, if / when soething goes wrong the electricity will flow down the earth wire (taking out the protective device as it should)
if there is no earth, and say its you holding the light at the time what do you think the electricty will flow through?

No you can not "borrow an earth" cahnces are that if your light doesnt have one nonr of the others do either. That said it may have ben cut off, but its doubtfull.

This was quite common some years ago, but that also means that the cables are old, and will be in a state of decay.

Your best option would be to get several quotes to get the whole house re wired

Sponsored Links
lstoner said:
if I don't get a shock, could I leave it ?

NO. it is there for your safetyyou may not get a shock now, but if there is a fault in the furture and it becomes live, you could get a fatal shock. take breezers advise and look into gettin re-wired

OK - one last question before I seek an electrician and get quotes etc.

In the last year, we had an extension built - new fuse box, wiring etc to the new build. However, we did not change the wiring in the old rooms ( hindsite is a wonderful thing !) The only way I can see of providing an earth is to run an earth wire of of a neighbouring [new] room light connection. This way I wouldn't have to feed new wire down to the switch - just run an earth from one room to another. Is this a big no no ( as mentioned by breezer ) ?

... and thanks again for your replies.

OK breezer, just why is this a no-no? I seem to recall it is quite common to interconnect earths on different circuits (i.e. bathroom!).

The important thing is that any equipment which expects an earth actually gets one.

What kind of wiring is in the old part of your house? If it is PVC covered (probably grey) then it is younger than the house is. If it is really 1930s wiring then it would be rubber covered (probably) and very likely falling to pieces. But if it is, then I would have expected the electrician who did your extension to have pointed out that it was dangerous. Good for business and his own personaly liability, if nothing else.

It would not have been unreasonable that your house got rewired 50-60ish with early PVC which did not include an earth on the lighting. This is unfortunate, but not a disaster unless you decide to use metal light fittings/switches. So long as the insulation is ok, then it calls for caution not panic. If the insulation really is rubber and falling off the wires, then you can panic.

lstoner said:
OK - one last question before I seek an electrician and get quotes etc.

In the last year, we had an extension built - new fuse box, wiring etc to the new build. However, we did not change the wiring in the old rooms ( hindsite is a wonderful thing !) The only way I can see of providing an earth is to run an earth wire of of a neighbouring [new] room light connection. This way I wouldn't have to feed new wire down to the switch - just run an earth from one room to another. Is this a big no no ( as mentioned by breezer ) ?

... and thanks again for your replies.

an earth is an earth. it is safe enough to take an earth from a diferent light and i dont think there is a regulation against it

lstoner said:
what could I use to test ? ( I have no meter )
Do you have screwdrivers for dealing with screws?

A hammer for dealing with nails?

A saw for cutting wood?

Why don't you have a meter?

Damocles said:
OK breezer, just why is this a no-no? I seem to recall it is quite common to interconnect earths on different circuits (i.e. bathroom!).
Indeed it is common, but potentially dangerous. I'd never thought about this before, but someone brought it up on the IEE site.

By connecting them together you're providing parallel paths for fault currents. What if one path has a lower resistance than another? Care to think what might happen to the 1mm² cpc of a lighting circuit if it ends up carrying the lion's share of the fault current from a shower on a 50A MCB?

OK - in this case it's all lighting circuits, so no problem there, but generally.....?

ban-all-sheds said:
Damocles said:
Indeed it is common, but potentially dangerous. I'd never thought about this before, but someone brought it up on the IEE site.

By connecting them together you're providing parallel paths for fault currents. What if one path has a lower resistance than another? Care to think what might happen to the 1mm² cpc of a lighting circuit if it ends up carrying the lion's share of the fault current from a shower on a 50A MCB?

OK - in this case i's all lighting circuits, so no problem there, but generally.....?

with the bonding rules for bathrooms you are REQUIRED to interconnect the earths of different cuircuits.

mind you i heared of the following situation once

two flats with seperate supplies (both PME).........

lost neutral to one flat on rec pole.......

single bond between properties earth systems connected to the lighting cuircuit......

melted cable!

as for borrowing an earth from another similarlly rated or higher rated cuircuit its safe enough provided everything remains connected but its definately not ideal because of the possibility of the other cuircuit being disonnected in the future

best to stick to double insulated fittings that don't require an earth

ban-all-sheds said:

there are a couple of important facts here

1: the lighting cable will generally be longer and is very unlikely to be significantly shorter than the shower cuircuit cable.
2: cable of 6 times the CSA (the CPC in 10mm T&E is 6mm isn't it) has significantly less than 6 times the current capacity.

Forgive me if I've missed something here.

Didn't the poster ask if he could run an earth from a lighting point in another room?

This is OK.

Run a separate CPC to every point in the non-compliant circuit in close proximity to the live conductors in the circuit.

So says the NIC book of snags and solutions - earthing.

This is an alternative to rewiring.

afaict the light in another room was on a different cuircuit that did have an earth

sure what you suggest is allowed in theory but it would be just as easy to just rewire the cuircuit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back