Repairing Old Pebbledash - Patch or Whole Wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My Dad's got bad cracking in pebbledashing around + underneath the windows in his house at the back. (We're having the windows replaced as they;re the original wooden frames and are rotten - hence the cracks).

I'm getting mixed messages from the builders doing quotes so have been trying to do a bit of background research. One builder has said the whole wall needs doing, and one has said hacking off ALL the old pebbldash may damage the wall/bricks underneath (which probbaly aren't that great as '30s house) :confused: . NEITHER HAS BEEN UP A LADDER TO CHECK THE CONDITION OF PEBBLEDASH which I intend to do ASAP.

My Dad doesn;t care what the property looks like at the back as long as the external fabric if waterproof/weatherproof enough to last for a decade or so. Obviously we want the best job done for a reasonable price.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated as just want the property repaired well enough for him (or me) not to have to worry now he's getting on a bit.

Cheers, :)

Sponsored Links
If the render is basically sound ie it doesn't sound hollow when tapped away from the cracks, then it is probable that the repairs can be localised, although it is impossible to match-in a repair to roughcast render, so it will always be visible as a repair. This may or may not bother you; equally, it may or may not bother any potential purchasers in the future.

If it all sounds hollow and/or is bulging, then it's best to have the lot off and redo it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back