DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

motion sensor and light switches how do you wire this up?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Electrics UK
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kevin1234

from United Kingdom

Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Posts: 128
Location: Caithness,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote

I am wondering is there any possible way of doing this,

I have for lights in a room and i need to use a motion sensor as well as a light switch, but the customer is asking if it is possible for the lights to come on even if the light switch is off, and if you were to leave the room the lights would go off even if the light switch off!?? and also to operate the lights from the switch like overriding the Motion sensor

Any wiring diagrams or any help of how i can do this?

thanks
Back to top
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Chri5

from United Kingdom

Joined: 19 Jan 2007
Posts: 4019
Location: London,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 349 times

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote

Since the sensor is 'just' a switch icon_lol.gif


http://www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting

Wire it as a 2 way light switching circuit and it will work just make sure the motion sensor allows for C, L1 and L2.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Spark123

from United Kingdom

Joined: 02 Jun 2005
Posts: 14257
Location: Cumbria,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 409 times

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote

If you wire it as 2 way it'll end up like a disco!

It should be possible to use a 2 gang switch, one to override the PIR so the lights are permanently on and the other so that it kills the supply to everything.
Is this what you are after?
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
ColJack

from United Kingdom

Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Posts: 11773
Location: West Midlands,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 408 times

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote

wire the switch in parallel with the PIR live and switched live connection...

that way the switch bypasses the PIR..
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Steve

from United Kingdom

Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Posts: 15941
Location: Yorkshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 221 times

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote

I wouldnt wire a normal switch before the sensor, because when power is applied to the sensor they normally have to initialise, which involves coming on for 10 seconds, then going off, and returning to normal mode. No good really, unless you dont mind waving your arms at the thing to get it to come on.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
ColJack

from United Kingdom

Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Posts: 11773
Location: West Midlands,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 408 times

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote

they only normalise the first time you turn it on.. which would be done by the keyswitch in the 2G grid, or by the breaker..

the "overide switch" would be in parallel with the feed and switched live on the PIR..

you might also like to wire it with a timer / contactor in line with the overide switch being a push to make switch, to turn it off after hours..

I'll do you a simle diagram and a complicated one and see what the client wants..
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
kevin1234

from United Kingdom

Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Posts: 128
Location: Caithness,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote

ColJack wrote:
they only normalise the first time you turn it on.. which would be done by the keyswitch in the 2G grid, or by the breaker..

the "overide switch" would be in parallel with the feed and switched live on the PIR..

you might also like to wire it with a timer / contactor in line with the overide switch being a push to make switch, to turn it off after hours..

I'll do you a simle diagram and a complicated one and see what the client wants..


Ye that would be great thanks if you could do a diagram for me, i aint that sure how to do it so thanks
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
ColJack

from United Kingdom

Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Posts: 11773
Location: West Midlands,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 408 times

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote



simple drawing for now, if they want the timer etc to ensure no one leaves the switch on by accident then get back to us later..
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
kevin1234

from United Kingdom

Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Posts: 128
Location: Caithness,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote

ColJack wrote:


simple drawing for now, if they want the timer etc to ensure no one leaves the switch on by accident then get back to us later..


Ah nice1 coljack!! so i take it when the switch is off it just operates the lights through the PIR?

Is it possible for you draw up one wit a timer etc in it please? that would be much appreciated!

thanks
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
ColJack

from United Kingdom

Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Posts: 11773
Location: West Midlands,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 408 times

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote



this would turn the lights on when the bypass button was pressed, but only during the hours set by the 24H timer ( ie during working hours ).
at other times the light would operate on the PIR..

the drawback is that once the bypass has been pressed, the lights remain on until the end of the day ( when the timer turns off )..

for a more convenient way, use a normal switch instead of the push button and remove the contactor, connecting the output of the 24H timer to the lights directly

this change however would mean that if the switch was left on, the lights would come back on in the morning..

notes: "24H timer" is the switch contacts of a 24H timer, it will probably also need a live and neutral feed to it.....
if omitting the contactor, the timer needs to be suitably rated to switch the lighting load..
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
kevin1234

from United Kingdom

Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Posts: 128
Location: Caithness,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote

ColJack wrote:


this would turn the lights on when the bypass button was pressed, but only during the hours set by the 24H timer ( ie during working hours ).
at other times the light would operate on the PIR..

the drawback is that once the bypass has been pressed, the lights remain on until the end of the day ( when the timer turns off )..

for a more convenient way, use a normal switch instead of the push button and remove the contactor, connecting the output of the 24H timer to the lights directly

this change however would mean that if the switch was left on, the lights would come back on in the morning..

notes: "24H timer" is the switch contacts of a 24H timer, it will probably also need a live and neutral feed to it.....
if omitting the contactor, the timer needs to be suitably rated to switch the lighting load..


Ah thats good ye so i take it that the bypass button when pressed keeps the lights because of the timer is that right? and they wont turn off until the timer has timed out is this right?

cheers
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
ColJack

from United Kingdom

Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Posts: 11773
Location: West Midlands,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 408 times

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote

no, the contactor latches itself on.. the timer just turns the live feed to the contactor off so it drops out..

ah whoops.. spoted a design flaw... icon_redface.gif

I'll re-draw it.. icon_rolleyes.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
kevin1234

from United Kingdom

Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Posts: 128
Location: Caithness,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote

ColJack wrote:
no, the contactor latches itself on.. the timer just turns the live feed to the contactor off so it drops out..

ah whoops.. spoted a design flaw... icon_redface.gif

I'll re-draw it.. icon_rolleyes.gif


no problem is it possible for you to explain then what happens in the drawing how it works please
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
ColJack

from United Kingdom

Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Posts: 11773
Location: West Midlands,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 408 times

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote


ah that's better...

when you press the bypass button, as long as the timer is in it's "ON" state ( ie during the hours of business ) then the contactor comes on and closes all it's contacts.
one of these contacts is in paralel with the bypass button, so its like someone keeping their finger on the button, the light stays on.

with the timer in it's "OFF" mode, the switched live to the contactor coil is not connected, so it can't be energised..
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
kevin1234

from United Kingdom

Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Posts: 128
Location: Caithness,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote

ColJack wrote:

ah that's better...

when you press the bypass button, as long as the timer is in it's "ON" state ( ie during the hours of business ) then the contactor comes on and closes all it's contacts.
one of these contacts is in paralel with the bypass button, so its like someone keeping their finger on the button, the light stays on.

with the timer in it's "OFF" mode, the switched live to the contactor coil is not connected, so it can't be energised..


ah right i see, so when the timer is in the off position i take it the lights can still work via the PIR, and because you have the bypass button wired in parrallel, how does that keep the lights going

and you see the first cable that goes into the contactor on the left hand side whats that for? im not that sure how the contactor is working here sorry if im annoying you here
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Electrics UK All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Similar Topics   Replies   Views   Posted 
motion sensor light switches 9 500 Tue May 11, 2010 5:41 pm
A motion sensor switch for a light on a wheel? 9 640 Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:30 pm
MOTION SENSOR 4 OUTDOOR LIGHT 5 760 Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:34 pm
Motion sensor lights 8 180 Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:39 am
Motion Sensor Switch Issue 6 140 Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:30 pm


 
DIYnot
Find an Expert | Find a Supplier | Search DIYnot.com
Network | Advertising | Newsletter
DIY | DIY How To | @home | DIY Wiki | DIY Forum
By using this site you agree to our Terms of Service / Disclaimer.
Please read our Privacy Policy. Copyright © 2000-2014 DIYnot Limited.