Air extractor vent nightmare!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive core cut a hole for an air extractor, fitted the air extractor etc, went outside and soon realised its impossible to fit the plastic weather grill on the outside. there is only a very narrow passage between the houses and the height of the vent means i would be climbing almost vertical ladders. I got to about half way and even there It felt EXTREMELY dangerous!!!

Question is, does it really matter if there isnt a plastic vent on the outside wall? i appreciate that its a weather guard as much as anything.

My thoughts were that i could position the vent in the hole and maybe secure in with a little expanding foam, to make a kind on seal? The asthetic appeal doesnt matter as no-one will ever see it up there!!!!

Any other ideas would be appreciated, the hole is cut now, so its a case of making the best of a bad job.

A reply asap would be appreciated, Im supposed to be re-boarding the ceiling today!!!

Sponsored Links
Drill and screw some large screw eyes to the wall, quite high up, both sides of the ladder and tie the ladder to them. Get a large person to put their weight on the bottom of the ladder and you should be fine.

Sponsored Links
Ive core cut a hole for an air extractor, fitted the air extractor etc, went outside and soon realised its impossible to fit the plastic weather grill on the outside. there is only a very narrow passage between the houses and the height of the vent means i would be climbing almost vertical ladders. I got to about half way and even there It felt EXTREMELY dangerous!!!

Question is, does it really matter if there isnt a plastic vent on the outside wall? i appreciate that its a weather guard as much as anything.

My thoughts were that i could position the vent in the hole and maybe secure in with a little expanding foam, to make a kind on seal? The asthetic appeal doesnt matter as no-one will ever see it up there!!!!

Any other ideas would be appreciated, the hole is cut now, so its a case of making the best of a bad job.

A reply asap would be appreciated, Im supposed to be re-boarding the ceiling today!!!
this might work,cut the plastic grill in half then join again with two tiny hinges,mastic the inner edge of grill poke it through the hole and pull the centre towards you ,then stay there untill it sets :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back