Best CU for all RCBOs, domestic install

S

sjwkmje

Hi All,

I have a CU to change and some wiring to update. The customer wants all RCBOs and two mcbs and the circuits are:

Upstairs lights
Bathroom lights and extractors
Garage (Mcb) (type c Zs is low enough)
Outside lighting
Ring 1
Ring 2

This is a submain. We did all the new cabling but at the time we left in a 16th edd cu and we are just getting back to finishing the job.

Been to Denmanns and CEF had a look at what CUs they had to offered but nothing seemed to have space to fit 5 rcbos. We ideally would like to go with metal clad as the sub main will be in SWA.

Hager seemed about the best.

Any one got any photos of an all RCBO install and the space availible in certain makes of CUs?

One idea we had was to run 4mm into the RCBO drop it down into the floor use a galv loop box secured down with crimps to x2 2.5mm to make it neater inside to supply the rings, or a din rail enclosure.

Had a look around old posts but came up blank,

Thanks,
Adam

Sponsored Links
MEM do a good range of RCBOs

IMO the Memera 2000 (square shape) has more room inside than the 2000AD range, and this is worthwhile as the Neutral leads are quite stiff.

CEF are doing a deal on Crabtree at the moment. The good thing about Starbreaker boards is that you can lower the din rail to get more space above for the RCBO wiring. As it is a shrouded busbar, you can get it lower than you could, say, a Wylex or a Hager.

I would go with either MK or Hager.

I don't have any pics of metal clad CU's, but they are a similar size to their insulated counterpart.

MK
IMGP19112.jpg

Hager
IMGP30872.jpg

Wylex are rubbish.

Iphone063.jpg

Sponsored Links
RF,

Thank you that was perfect. When you look at them bare you do not really get the full picture until you start working and pulling in cables.

I have a personal dislike towards Wylex and I have never fitted a Wylex board.

Going to go with Hager.

Adam

RF - that's such a neat board, I had to look really, really close to pick holes in it. That's the idea of putting up photos isn't it? :LOL:

Anyway - is it ok to run the neutral cable from the RCD through a hole in the metal busbar support? Or am I seeing it wrong?

Edward Currents might know.

RF,

In the Wylex board why are there connector strips on the live connections in the top LHS? What does this board feed? Why the two cables in the 10A mcb? Very very neat work. Just cannot see the reason for the chokkie blocks. Unless this was a CU upgrade?

Adam

It's a bit complicated :LOL:

It is a sub DB in a large domestic kitchen.

The connectors are switched lives from the switches, connecting to switched lives to the lights.

The switch is mounted in a bare stone wall, so we had to keep wires to the switch to an absoloute minimum, and the center lights had minimal wiring space too, so we decided the CU was the best place for an accessible joint.

The two wires in the 10A RCBO do some external lights on the front and back of the kitchen, and it was easier to wire the two sides seperately, but it didn't warrant an additional RCBO.

Thanks for the info, seems the best way to do it.

Last question if you work for a firm why do you use different brand boards from job to job? Or at least it seems that way with the photos of your CU installs. The firms I have worked for just stick with one brand, MK, merlin gerin, hager, crabtree so those are the only boards I have ever worked with unless there was some exception why we could not use the prefered supplier in that case we had to beg for what we wanted to be ordered in! Less stuff to keep in stock as well.

I guess if its private domestic work it comes down to cost. When I did domestic I just fitted Hager and industrial I just fitted merlin gerin or Hager.

Adam

I might be confusing you again here :LOL:

MK was the normal brand of CU we used to install on domestic jobs at the last firm I worked for.

The Hager board is in my shed at home.

Wylex is the board of choice for domestic work at the company I am currently at. Unfortunatly my boss remembers the days when wylex were the bees knees, and he's quite set in his ways. :LOL:

Also, I have a large stock of other brands which I have not installed, taken whilst carrying out periodics etc.

Agree with RF with regards to Wylex being rubbish. No room to get them really neat especially when fitting 10mm for showers etc.
Unfortunately Bradford Council whom I work for seem to like them and continue to use them, despite me and the other electricians requesting they fit Mk. :evil:

Why does that NOT suprise me.

Bradford council seem to have some very odd ideas when it comes to electrical installations.

I'm currently working on a price / spec for some work in one of their buildings.

Talk about jumping through hoops :rolleyes:

Following the recommendations for MK as a CU with more height I've just been looking at the MK Sentry consumer units on their website. They all seem to be only 230mm or 235mm high. Am I missing something here as RF's picture of the MK one seems to be more roomy than that? Or is the picture of an older older board?

The house has a temporary 5 way installed which I picked due to its extended height (255mm I think) but even that's not marvelous. It eventually needs to go to 14way all RCBO but finding a decent tall CU doesn't seem to be easy. I think the LABC guy would give me one of those Paddington Bear stares if I was to lop the top off one, add 2 inches, and weld it back up again.

I'm also wondering who makes this CU / DIN enclosure?
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1917898#1917898

If an RCBO is 125mm high that looks like it could be about 255mm high. Is there anything about industrially that would bring more space and decent construction?

I'm amazed that CU's continue to be so short on height.

Memera 2000 is more roomy than Memera 2000 AD. Although it is a superceded model it is still available and all devices are interchangeable.

you can get a double-decker if you have reason to need it

2000 View media item 1090
2000AD View media item 1091

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back