rewiring plug sockets query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

currently replacing my old alarm with an off the shelf, mains plug in job.

the old alarm is connected to the mains/switchbox via a fuse in the porch

i would like to convert the old mains cable to be the new plug socket for the alarm (all under the counter and out of view), but would like to extend that into another plug (on show that will be used for the lawn mower etc)

what's the best way to do this?

i was thinking of putting the mains to a junction box then 1 outlet to the socket that will power the alarm and another to the spare socket.
i have a 30 amp 3 terminal junction box

or can i put the mains directly to the 1st socket then add the 2nd one? will this effect anything if i ever trip the fuse?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
hi

currently replacing my old alarm with an off the shelf, mains plug in job.

the old alarm is connected to the mains/switchbox via a fuse in the porch

i would like to convert the old mains cable to be the new plug socket for the alarm (all under the counter and out of view), but would like to extend that into another plug (on show that will be used for the lawn mower etc)

what's the best way to do this?

i was thinking of putting the mains to a junction box then 1 outlet to the socket that will power the alarm and another to the spare socket.
i have a 30 amp 3 terminal junction box

or can i put the mains directly to the 1st socket then add the 2nd one? will this effect anything if i ever trip the fuse?

many thanks
For the alarm if you use something like Ali-tube cable you will not need a RCD although most alarms are battery backed anyway so no real problem having an RCD.

The socket will have to be rcd protected if you plan to use it for a lawnmower

Not sure what the lawnmower has to do with provision of RCD protection any socket under 20A unless specially designated and marked for example freezer supply has to be RCD protected. See 411.3.3

"In a.c. systems, additional protection by means of an RCD in accordance with Regulation 415.1 shall be provided for:
(i) socket-outlets with a rated current not exceeding 20 A that are for use by ordinary persons and are intended
for general use, and"

If you go to IET web site BS 7671:2008, Corrigendum (July 2008) has most of the rules for sockets at the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back