Cable selection for outside lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got someone coming round Saturday to connect my 2 new outside floodlights (150W each) to the CU and a switch in the hall. In the meantime I'm going to get them wall mounted and the cables run ready so all he has to do is connect them, it's a freebie job after all so I can't complain.

Is standard grey 2.5mm T&E acceptable for running around the outside walls at about 2m high or do I need to buy a specific type of cable for outdoor use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
T&E is NOT acceptable for use outside. UV from the sun and frost will knacker it in no time.

You can run T&E in conduit or use armoured or Hi-Tuf cable.

BTW, why on earth are you using 2.5mm cable :?: . Did your "someone" tell you to do that?
You wont get that into the terminations in the light, let alone the switch!

What is going to be protecting the cable to the lights? Both lights will draw just over an amp so 1mm or 1.5mm cable will be plenty.

It's simply that I happen to have a load of 2.5 T&E lying around, no other reason for using it than that. I asked cos if it wasn't suitable I will go buy the right type of cable as recommended. All I will be doing it physically mounting the lights and running the cable but the electrician will be taking care of connecting them to breakers etc as that's out of my league.

He's doing it as a favour so asked if I would get the cable in place ready to save him some time but advised me not to connect it. I never thought to ask him what cable to use and he's away until Saturday.

Quick update, I have one of those switches here with a fuse holder in it that he left ready to be fitted so assume it will be fuse protected.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back