DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

2 pac filler instead of putty?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobboclown

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:21 pm Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

question - I have a single glazed timber casement window to re paint, about 40 percent of the original putty has perished and has to be replaced. The only trouble is i am working (as a favour icon_cry.gif ) nearly 200 miles from home and don't have the time to 'pop' back and finish the putty beads once they have skinned. Has anyone ever used 2 part filler (such as bonda) instead of putty as a quick get out? any reasons why i shouldnt? ordinarily i'd use multi perpous putty and go back to it, but the job isnt really local to me. any thoughts appreciated.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Zampa

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote

Personally I think 2 pack will be too hard on outside wood which is subject to a lot of movement..this could cause the filler to fsll out.

But I can see where you comming fron re the putty skinning up...maybe synthetic putty might work...to could try rubbing podwer filler over them first to speed up the skinning process

Last resort...polyfilla..its not as hard as 2 pack..but still quiet brittle...its easier to apply though than 2 pack
 Alert Moderators
Robbie uk

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote

Or you could use wooden beading, pre prime it first and when fitted just top coat it. icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
joe-90

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote

Beading is a good idea but car body filler will do a good job too. Big tin for about 17.
 Alert Moderators
bobboclown

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote

Hi guys thanks for getting back to me. Zampa - I totally agree with you re- timber movement, it is a concern. with regard to the synthetic putty do you mean something like DRY SEAL icon_question.gif (they sell it in dulux centres but require a remortgage before purchasing, ive never used it and always wondered if it was a dulux 'fad'). Poly filler - good idea but being 'credit crunch aware, (or tight a***d as my wife would say) ive got 2 pac on board and was hoping that would do, cheers.
Robbie uk - The window in question is 'fixed', on the 3rd floor, and only accessable from a ladder (garage and shed prevent tower access), beading would be an option if the window was not so high (time consuming) or it was removable, but thanks anyway.
Joe 90 - Thanks for being so diplomatic and advising both options icon_biggrin.gif , Im gonna go with the 2 pac method, and risk losing repeat business '200' miles away if it fails. hopefully a local guy will get to to it properly!
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: