spindle spaces

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive fitted many hand rails but i can never get the same amount of gap between each spindle. i find that when i get to the last spindle the gap is always different how can i solve this????????? :confused:

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo chipi and welcome

assuming your like me it alway the bottom thats bigger working up the stair
the reason for this when you push the top it pushes the spacer tight to the underside of the handrail but when you push the bottom the tendacy is to lift the spacer so if each one lifts 0.5 mm after every mtr that approx 10 x 0.5 = 5 mm so after 5m you have 25mm[inch]
so take particular care on the string cap making shure the previous spacer hasnt lifted check it every 1m and ajust the gap with a bigger spacer if nessisary
usualy if you take extra care on the capping with the spaces you should be ok

aaahhh i think a message from the net has told me i have missred your post ;)

right measure the top of the cap and under the handrail say this gives you for example 4m you now have to take the angle say 37%draw a line at the angle on your spindle so for example your 30mm wide spindle may now [at an angle]become 36mm so you have a max spacing of 99mm between spindles so you place 2 spindles on the angle with 99mm between them horizontaly so you have a spindle 30mm wide plus 99mm wide on the level plain you then look at the angle to see what a spindle and a space will cover so a spindle will cover at an angle 36mm plus 99mm at an angle will cover perhaps 118mm [these are now measurements up the string cap]so you take 118 plus 36 =154 divide 4m by 154 =25.9 so you need 26 spindles but you will need one more space than spindle so you add 26x 36=936
so you take 4m -26x36=3064 divided by27 =113.5
so in other words when youve sussed out how many spindles you need at the correct angle you take the spindles from the total length work out what is left add a spacer and devide the remainder by that number as clear as mud eehh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back