Installing two ovens on a single circuit

H

HughJarres

I'm replacing my old double oven (rated around 6.5kW, I think) with two separate ovens, a single rated at 3.5kW and a microwave combi rated at 3.45kW. I'm using the existing cooker circuit in 6mm cable, protected in the consumer unit by a 30A MCB.

Trouble is, both instruction books claim their ovens need to be protected by 16A fuses. I was intending to take them both off the same cooker point (actually daisy-chaining from one to the other). Is there any practical way of separately protecting each appliance, or will the combined 30A suffice?

Any thoughts gratefully received, especially if they avoid the suggestion of running separate cables back to the consumer unit (which is not currently practical).

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the speedy response. The thread you referred me to proved very useful. And it linked to another where I discovered the "daisy-chain" is not recommended: I need to run the two ovens in parallel off an additional two-way consumer unit.

Clearly there's a trend away from double ovens and towards separate units. Thanks again for your help.

Sponsored Links
There's also a trend towards the buying of ovens which are designed with the expectation that houses will be full of 16A circuits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back