cavity insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm building a cavity wall conservatory which will be used as a kitchen. The walls will be constructed using red fletton bricks on the outside and thermal blocks inside. The height of the walls will be 1200mm. What is the minimum cavity width, and therefore the thickness of Celotex that would achieve the insulation required by regs? The structure will be under regs because I will be putting heating and drainage in too. Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'm building a cavity wall conservatory which will be used as a kitchen.
:eek:

The structure will be under regs because I will be putting heating and drainage in too. Cheers

A conservatory currently does not fall under building regulations.

It is possible to have a polycarb' roof and still satisfy reg's but it may mean having solid walls!

You need to design a hybrid that will satisfy reg's, not impossible but it may mean a compromise.

If it is heated, for building regulations purposes it would be treated as an ordinary extension. Minimum U-value of new walls would therefore be 0.30W/m²K. You would get that with 50mm Celotex in a 100mm cavity or 75mm full fill cavity batts with lightweight internal block.

You might run into some tricky questions if your glazed area is more than 25% of the floor area. Although I find this rule is often completely ignored by building control.

I've found to get round the 25% rule and avoid SAPs you need to up the U value of the glazing. You'll have to see what BC ask for and a bit of negotiation will be in order.

Sponsored Links
if your glazed area is more than 25% of the floor area.,............I find this rule is often completely ignored by building control.

I rarely find this rule completely ignored in Staffs. In fact i would say it is zealously obeyed. However i will agree that it is a rule that can be interpreted/overcome in several ways, particularly if you have a sharp designer/architect/draughtsman.

Glazing can normally be overcome in some form of trade off. What kind of roof are you going to use glazed or plastic or tiled, you are calling it a conservatory when it will actually be an extension with kitchen installed. 25% rule certainly not ignored in my area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back