Soldering Advice - Stop Cocks and Street Elbows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advise please.

I need to plumb in a downstairs radiator and want to fit drain cocks to both flow and return pipes.

On other radiators in the house this has been done (by a pro) using a combination of T's and Street Elbows resulting in the stop cock sitting below and behind the radiator valves. This looks quite neat and I'd like to try and replicate it.

To try and explain. The pipe runs across bottom of the Radiator into a T. The stop cock is soldered into the opposite side of the T in line with the pipe. The third part of the T faces outwards (into the room) into which is connected a street elbow which turns towards the end of the radiator and into this another street elbow which turns up towards to the valve. The result is the pipe sits back against the wall and the tap is partially obscured by the valve.

Do you have any tips for soldering drain taps? I'm guessing this could be tricky as it's a decent lump of brass to heat up?

Also how do I go about soldering the assembly, do I have to solder it all at once (T and 2 Street Elbows)?

I've done the odd bit of soldering elsewhere in the house over the last few months, I feel I've improved and have had no leaks..... yet. I'm hoping (with a bit of advice) this might be just within my abilities.

Cheers
Flip

Sponsored Links
the draincock takes no longer to solder than any other endfeed fitting.
but remove the internals first or you'll melt the rubber seal in the bottom.

Yes best to solder allin one go.
Remove the insides of the draincock then you wont damage the sealin washer also use type A draincocks and not type B.

Sponsored Links
Its the heat or is it the couple of pints i had earlier, yep its the heat :LOL:

Was thinking yesterday as i worked in loft for half hour. Thank fek most jobs are combis now s~d spending half a day in there doing tanks etc.

any chance of posting a couple of pics?

interested to see how the pro has done this.

cheers

Hi, thanks again for the advice.

Here's a photo. It's the assembly I made up, not the plumber's, so go easy on the soldering.

I suppose the elbows might not look that tidy but the drain cock is obscured well.

Cheers[/img]

Looks ok, 6 of one re whether it looks less intrusive than just using 1 street elbow into valve.

Pts do a nice rad valve with a drain off on the inside of the fixing. Perfect for switchin of a rad, then draining the sucker down, nice and clean like.

Danfoss do a drain off tail piece does exactly the same, take original tail

that comes with valve, discard, and screw in drain off tail, easy peasy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back