Workshop and Building Regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could someone with experience please try and answer my questions.

BR:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115315233153.html

I can meet all of the BR requirements but it would help to get answers to the following:

1. I'm laying a concrete base for a now decided wooden workshop. I understand there should be a 6" border of concrete running the perimeter. Can this concrete, specifically the 6" on one side be within the 1metre distance requirement of planning permission. I.e. my building, walls etc. will be 1metre + away from fence but some 4" of concrete base (some of the border) be inside said metre? It would help thats all.

2. I have seen 30metres square floor area is permitted without planning permission. How is this measured? I.e. from inside walls of the finished build? From the concrete base including the 12" space taken up by aforementioned border? Perimeter of out side wall dimensions? I want to maximise workshop size to the full extent permitted without obtaining planning permission and am presently working away at a CAD drawing so at this stage it would help.

3. While still building to BR but not PP, will I need to register it with LABC? Sorry if this sounds silly but its the first time I've ventured into such a project.

cheers,

dc

Sponsored Links
You seem to be confusing b/regs and planning permission.

There are no volume limits for PP any more, and the 30m2 area you refer to is related to b/regs and measured internally as floor area.

There is no requirement for a 6" concrete perimeter

If you want to build without PP, then check permitted development rights, and the dimensional and height restrictions when building near to a boundary.

For b/regs, any part of the garage less than 1m to a boundary will have to be built of "substantially fire resistant" materials. This will not mean you can't build in timber, but if you do, you will need to incorporate additional measures to prevent spread of fire

There are no volume limits for PP any more, and the 30m2 area you refer to is related to b/regs and measured internally as floor area.

Thanks for the clarification.

There is no requirement for a 6" concrete perimeter

Sorry. I should have said, the choice for a wooden workshop wasn't easy and one made only because of cost but I wanted to keep open the option of replacing the wooden build on said concrete base with a sectional workshop/garage by someone else at some later date so I was hoping to lay the concrete for a sectional garage which is where the perimeter came from. Perhaps I should rethink now you mention it as rules change all the time so in future it might still not comply.

If you want to build without PP, then check permitted development rights, and the dimensional and height restrictions when building near to a boundary.

The heights (roof type dependant) were specified in those BR's for out buildings I linked to; is that what you mean or do you mean get in contact with local authority and ask?

For b/regs, any part of the garage less than 1m to a boundary will have to be built of "substantially fire resistant" materials. This will not mean you can't build in timber, but if you do, you will need to incorporate additional measures to prevent spread of fire

It would only be concrete, a few inches of the concrete base atmost and I doubt I could light that very easily. I'll search the forum on additional fire resistant measures and materials. Might well have a few more questions on this subject then!

cheers,

dc

Sponsored Links
The heights (roof type dependant) were specified in those BR's for out buildings I linked to; is that what you mean or do you mean get in contact with local authority and ask?

You are confusing building regulations and planning permission again.

You linked to guidelines for planning permission - more specifically the permitted development guidelines.

If you keep to the dimensional criteria in that link, then you wont need to apply for planning permission. If your garage will not conform to those guidelines, then you will have to apply for planning permission.

The criteria for building regulations is that if you keep the garage less then 30m2 and more then 1m from the boundary, then you don't need to apply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back