Laying loose flags

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of laying a few flags as a bit of a path from the side door of the garage to the front.
The flags will be next to the lawn where there is now soil so i was wondering - should i level the soil, lay down a weed barrier, lay flags on top and fill in gaps (probably 1- 2" between each) with decorative gravel?

Will this be ok as it'll just be foot traffic or will i need to use cement under the flags?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
We don't cement ours. We have used a sand base on some we recently laid but when we laid a path a few years ago (and we were poor!) and the soil was compacted we laid them on to the compacted earth (but these are butted up to each other with something either side as well.

I would say for the time and effort it would take, you should use a mortar base. You'll find the flags will go down and level a lot quicker and easier than if they are just laid on sand/soil. More importantly they'll last longer and wont move whereas you'll find the flags will move slightly when laid without mortar, especially when any weight is put on the corners.

I'm speaking from experience here, got some good advice from this forum!

lost count of the amount oftimes ive said it. lay it on a wet mortar bed. it wont move and is easier to lay.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back