BEKO polystyrene blocks - help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site so please excuse any mistakes!!

I'm currently planning a new build project, and am considering using BEKO polystyrene wall moulds with concrete infill.

Does anyone have any experience of these or have any comments about them?

Sponsored Links
For some reason, every one I've seen on the TV programs, and the three I've heard about third hand have had problems with the walls splitting or bowing when the concrete was poured.

Weren't they the ones that partially collapsed on that edition of Grand Designs because they poured too much concrete in? :) they looked good apart from that.

so it would seem to rely on not pouring in too much concrete!
How many blocks high can you go for each pour? I just need a build method thats quick and gives decent insulation etc etc. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
above ground? use SIPS walls..

insulation skinned with chipboard on either side ( I think there's a plasterboard inside option.. so ready to joint and paint.. )

could try relkon. they are the building side of portacabin..
they build modular houses that come in blocks that slot together.. can't get much faster..

more food for thought! Many thanks.
I need to do a bit of research. How long have these SIPS panels been available. Has anyone used them as I haven't heard of them before??? :?:

SIPS have been used in the States for years. I looked at using them in the UK about 7-8 years ago. I spoke a an outfit near Bedford. www.siptec.co.uk Only thing that stopped me was the price of the land. Out in NZ, can get the land but no-one out here make the panels, I'm considering importing them from the States.

You can get them in various forms, most commonly with OSB on either face, but you can specify ply or a cementatious board.

Back on to Beko blocks, I vaguely remember seeing a Grand Designs where the house was essentially sunk into the ground and used a Beko type system to build the underground walls. I have recollection of it leaking badly. Any have any feeling regarding how water-tight Beko walls are?

The problems of the walls bursting open is concrete shot in too fast and too wet, but whatever way its done You will have your heart in your mouth when you put the vibrating poker in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back