Ford Mondeo warning light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Ok i'm an idiot, bought a Y Reg Ford Mondeo at auction today, now this is not my first foray at said auction and quite expect to have to replace brake pads, wiper blades, the odd wheel bearing but this one, whilst driving home I was aware of what I thought was afore mentioned brake pad warning light but it transpires it's the engine warning light and the book tells me to take my car immediately to my nearest Ford dealership. Any advice? Please. Car appeared to run fine. Grant

Sponsored Links
Your warning lamp is telling you that your car has developed a problem in either its fuelling, ignition or exhaust system. The good news is that the problem will be stored as a 4 digit code in the cars on board computer, which can be read, and a remedy proposed, by any garage with suitable diagnostic equipment - and it doesn't have to be a main dealer! If the car seems to be ok I guess its an exhaust system fault as ignition or fuelling problems seem to be fairly obvious in the form of a misfire...hope its not too bad! Cheers John

Thanks John that puts my mind at rest a bit, it was flashing occasionaly and the book says I should have stopped immediately

Hi Burnerman, what John says makes perfect sense....however I dont want to be the bearer of bad news but it could mean you need a new catalytic converter.
Ignition or fueling faults usually means it screws the cat !!!!!!
In my experience it very rarely needs resetting, I hope I am wrong mate!
Phil

Sponsored Links
I hear that clutches are damn expensive on these too?

Clutches are expensive on these because the front subframe has to be lowered to get the box out, and the body pinned so it doesn't flex......the cat, if it needs one shouldn't be too bad in price as there are lots of Mondy's about so, plenty of competition in supply.....theoretically!

Been talking to a few guys and the thoughts are that the manufacturers have these lights turn on to panic you into tootling along to your nearest Ford dealer ;)

Back