DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

KENWOOD DISHWASHER KDW12SL3A PROBLEM

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
clubb699

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote

Hi all,

Used my dishwasher the other night and was fine. Put another load in today, starts up fine and makes a draining sound as to drain any water away. It then fills with water and then will usually make a click and the water starts jetting out of the spray nozzels to carry on with cycle( Normal operation).

This does not happen now and instead i get a low hum noise with no water jetting. When the hum stops its quiet and after about 10 minutes the tablet dispenser releases but nothing else is happening. Dose anyone have any idea what this may be?

The dishwasher is about 14 months old i took the botom of the dishwasher apart tapped the motors thought i might free anything put it back together and got same problem.

Thanks for reading

Kind regards
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
needyahelp

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote

Hi, may be too late for the original post here but in case anyone else finds it useful later on:
I had the very same problem with my Kenwood a few weeks back (mins a KDW24fI/B i think) at the end of summer 09. Anyway it turned out to be a blown motor run/start capacitor. This can be found attached to the main motor chassis inside the bottom of the machine at the back (you have to turn the machine around and remove the lower metal panel on the back to get at it, i would NOT reccommend turning the machine over or tipping it on its side as there is a hidden open water 'resevoir' on one side of the machine that will spill if you do). Just unscrew the nut and disconnect the two cables from the lugs. The only way i found the the capacitor had failed was because it was not perfectly cylindrical, it looked like it had suffered some form of internal explosion/over pressure and had bulged in places as a result. The replacement capcitor i needed was a: polypropylene film 450V 5uf (aka 5 micro farad) motor run/start capacitor. I couldnt get the very same brand one as in the machine (a hayoe brand) as they only supply from China and the minimum order is 1000 of them i think! Instead i found the one i wanted on a site called cpc.farnell.com (sort of a mix between tool station and maplin, quite a useful site but only when they dont demand a minimum order of 45 quite- come on cpc match toolstations delivery policy any ill order more often!)and the best thing is the part cost less that 2 quid! The voltage range printed on the replacement product on the cpc site had a variation of 425-475 but i think thats just how it goes (as long as its not miles off or you could risk fitting a capacitor that may explode prematurely) and as long as its the same microfarad rating (5uf in my Kenwoods case) you should be OK (unless anyoneelse knows better). Anyway i fitted the part and also took the opportunity to slap some anti rust paint on the kenwood where it had strangely badly rusted on the inside panels of the machine (not inside the wash area!) you can get the anti rust paint form toolstation for a few quite. Put the machien back together and its been working since. Reckon it saved me at least 100 quid as i was originally going to replace the wash motor/pump! Anyway hope this info is useful. Its amasing what you can replace yourself at relatively low cost (apart from time!) and sites like toolstation and cpc.farnell (any freebees welcome site owners hint hint!!) really do help! Note: dont try any of these diy service jobs unless youre prepared to get grubby and have your kitchen full of parts, oh and obviously fiddling with stuff you know absolutley nothing about isnt a good thinng to do unless you have some common sense and are capacble of working carefully & safely. Hope this item helps! icon_wink.gif
The following user says thank you to needyahelp for this useful post:
LRRHOOD01 (27 Dec 2010)
 Alert Moderators
LRRHOOD01

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote

Hi, Thankyou for this advice as I also have the same model as the original post, with exactly the same fault that occured at roughly the same time and has been sat in the kitchen, ever since. We were saving up for a new dishwasher in the sales before the vat goes up however for the sake of a few quid and a bit od mess I will give your tip a go. Wonder how many more people have had the same problem with this machine icon_confused.gif
 Alert Moderators
Leccy758

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote

A little bit of info for those that were expecting Kenwood dishwashers to be made by Kenwood itself or in fact to be anything to do with Kenwood.

They are made specifically for DSG (Dixons stores group) and have nothing at all to do with Kenwood (try getting support from them and they will tell you)

If you take the motor start capacitor into a local appliances shop they should be able to test it for you (we do for free). Quite a few multimeters now have capacitance testing settings now as well as not all capacitors have any obvious sign they have failed.
The following user says thank you to Leccy758 for this useful post:
LRRHOOD01 (31 Dec 2010)
 Alert Moderators
needyahelp

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:58 am Reply with quote

The thing is still going with no failures after all this time! Makes you wonder how many appliances get ditched just because of a tiny part! icon_biggrin.gif
 Alert Moderators
DIYRon

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote

I also have a Kenwood KDW12SL3A dishwasher that has recently suffered a mystery fault.

There's no fault code presented, just that it appears to start the cycle with a short period with the drain pump, then it fails to start washing, although the timer counts down. The cleaning tablet gets dumped out of the door as normal, but obviously with no water it is not being disolved.

There is a bit of residual water in the bottom though which is above the filter, which made me intially think that perhaps the filter was blocked. Having cleaned the filter, no difference there.

I'll have a check on the capacitor as mentioned above, inthe mean time if anyone has any other ideas, appreciate the advice.

Cheers
Ron
 Alert Moderators
teddyman

from Ireland

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:38 am Reply with quote

hello all,
i have a kenwood kdw12st3a dishwasher and its not starting the cycle??,,,i can get the program up on the display screen but when i close the door it just keeps beeping and wont start the cycle,,it could be something simple or it could be unfixable:(
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks all
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Appliances All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: