Inside Kitchen cupboard made warm by sun outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How can warmth be prevented from penetrating the cupboard where tinned and packet food is stored ?

Sponsored Links
An interesting dilemma.
The crass answer wouldbe to put bowls of ice in there, but a more scientific answer would be to use reflective foil (such as for putting behind radiators)

As Dextrous says, you can insulate the cupboard, but I’m not sure that’ll look very good. The other option, as Dextrous has eluded to is to take care what you put in the ‘hot’ cupboard. Tins shouldn't be a problem getting warm, neither would dried food like rice and pasta.

Maybe putting a shade on the window would be the better answer. A Roman blind can be pulled down a bit, just to cast shade across the cupboard and lifted as the sun moves.

Sponsored Links
Another way of keeping the temperature down would be to drill ventilation holes in the top of the cupboard, but I'm not sure I'd like the look of those either :confused:

As stated packet food should be kept dry and tinned food is unaffected by the warm conditions, so you don't really have a problem to fix.

it's possibly advantageous too..
you won't need to use as much gas to heat those beans if they're already quite warm from the sun ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back