GE washer - banging noise and stops spinning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a GE washer model WPSE5290A0WW. Over the past week or so our washer has started making a banging noise during the spin cycle and then doesnt spin at all. The lights in our laundry room flicker with the banging.

I went ahead and removed the front cover on the washer to take a look around. The washer spins and bangs for a little bit and then stops spinning and stops banging. Then it doesnt work at all. If you let it sit for a while then it will work again for about a minute.

While it is spinning and banging I looked in the motor and I can see electrical flashes also. It seems like something (motor or clutch or transmission) is almost totally dead. I can replace it myself but I am not sure what to replace.

Can anyone please help me?

Sponsored Links
Before doing anything with the moter check to see if the rubber dampers are ok. One of these were broken in my top loading washer and the tub started hitting the sides of the body. They are attached at the top of the tub and the chassis. They look like rubber straps with loops on each end.

post locked to prevent hi-jacking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back